1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It is so bleeping obvious...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Sep 9, 2018.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I was just reading responses to OFSTED statement today that was on Facebook - now I can't find it. Amanda Spielman made some statement about cuts in funding - how they are not having an impact on Education de da de da.
    The responses led me to google how much our Academies are costing the education system. I already know that they milk the system for profit.
    We are watching our Education system being privatised.
    It's not going well. Or is it?
    One moment it is dire and standards are poor, the next minute, cuts are not having an adverse impact.
    All rubbish of course.
    So here is one article about how much Academies milk the system. Just in case we don't know already.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jul/23/education-academies-funding-expenses

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I am angry because this is corruption of the most sinister kind. At the heart of our childrens' education.

InkyP, chelsea2, sbkrobson and 2 others like this.
  3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Correct. We need a National Education Service with provision free at point of delivery. No private companies involved, each school accountable to their Local Education Authority who are in a MUCH better position than Ofsted to actually know a school's particular circumstances and context. There should be a clampdown on homeschooling. If you wish to homeschool your child, fine - but show us the textbooks you're using and evidence of what education your child is receiving.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Yes, but who cares so long as someone makes a profit? It's just another example of a tiny minority of greedy people lining their pockets at the expense and to the detriment of the majority.

5. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Local MAT to us has private numberplates on the school minibus of the lead academy (was one of those outstanding schools that academised and then has absolutely voraciously gobbled up any school it could get its hand on) and a line of managerial Jags going into the site on a morning.

Meanwhile the other primaries in the trust are charging parents a massive top up contribution each term, or have such decrepit building structures that there's a very well rehearsed drill to get buckets and bins to catch the leaks brought out the second it starts raining.

chelsea2 likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And we can never turn the clock back. :(:mad:

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It wasn't to do with cuts in Ofsted funding meaning that many schools judged outstanding haven't been inspected for many, many years (a local such school hasn't been inspected since 2006 - 12 years ago)?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45433653

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do you think they are bulletproof ones like gangsters have?

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

For Outstanding read " the same".
    The drive for more schools to be Outstanding, or more teachers for that matter, is nonsense.
    We can't all be outstanding. Otherwise we would average. Or whatever.
    We are given to understand that there are some countries where there is such corruption going into the pockets of so crooked people that it is hardly worth sending Aid.. that sort of thing.
    While back here in the so called lawful and democratic society we have created, things are hardly any better except that
    we legislate for corruption.
    And in education. Of all the institutions which should be safe and full of principle.
    Coming soon.
    Privatized NHS.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's already happening, bit by bit, department by department.

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

True.
    But there is no part of the taxes I pay, local or governmental, that I wanted to be given as profit to some suit driving a posh car and milking the education system. On the board yesterday we had a teacher asking how they could earn extra money somehow to pay the bills...... these things are connected.

And there is no part of my energy bills that I want to go to another suit driving a posh car who is taking a cut of the profits... .......
    None of the money used as the profit from public institutions and services - as if such a thing could be - none of this do I want to go to any place other than the honest wages of the employees, the benefit of the stakeholders and the necessary maintenance of the assets and development of the infrastructures. In education, any so called profits should be for the benefit of the pupils.

Aquamarina1234 and InkyP like this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

'Privatise, monetise, capitalise'. There are too many people taking a slice of an ever-diminishing cake.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A local bargepole school I used to work at was a regular occupier of the bottom of the league table. There were reasons you will all understand for this - a deprived catchment area, low prior attainment, education not supported by many parents, high levels of EAL and SEN.
    It was taken over by a MAT that had two of its other schools taken off it but did really well. Cue the bosses awarding themselves massive bonuses for "turning the school around"; but all that really happened was the arrival of many refugees and economic migrants who had every intention of making sure their children succeeded in this country.

InkyP likes this.
  14. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

They're flipping badly driven I can tell you that!