1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It is like living in a Hitchcock Movie.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I thought I'd have a cuppa, and decided to empty the bin whilst I waited for the kettle to boil.
    Just as I opened the front door to take the knotted peddle bin liner to the recycle bin, I heard the window upstairs open. The guy who lives above me threw out what looked like the best part of a loaf of bread, ripped into shreds and it scattered on the lawn.
    I barely made it inside in time! Two huge seagulls came screaming towards the bread, followed by about a hundred more! The lawn was grey and white with gulls! There were others perched on the hedge waiting for a space so they could grab a crust.
    Ten seconds later the bread was all gone. The gulls departed - but not far. I can see them. Some are sitting on the roof of the house opposite. There's one on the lamp-post. A couple keep coming to the hedge and flying off again.
    (I hope my furry little feline friend doesn't make an appearance today - he won't stand a chance!...they'll have him!)
    I suppose it could be worse - usually I feel like I'm living in a version of 'Rear Window' (The guy has friends round....theydrink/smoke....and get very noisy....and he has managed to teach me some new cuss-words...and I grew up with three army brothers, I thought I knew all the good words!)
    Or...I'm waiting for my wet-room conversion - I don't want any Psycho occurrences when I finally get to use my new shower!

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oh poor you. I really hated that film. Would probably look really fake in today's CGI (is that right) world.
    Try not to look out of the window for a little while, they obviously know there is a source of food worth waiting for.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I can imagine that was seriously scary! We live well inland, but some gulls have taken to descending to our school playground at lunchtime for the pickings to be had. It really is quite intimidating when they swoop in a relatively enclosed space (ie not over the coastline) - and I am sick and tired of finding my car covered in industial quantities of white poop.
    I do enjoy feeding the birds, though, but started to be less regular when I noticed increasing numbers of pigeons sitting on the roof at 7.15am, waiting for breakfast. At first there had been none, only the small garden birds. After some time a pair of pigeons arrived, and they obviously told their mates and word spread. My husband reminded me that I was in danger of turning into "the mad bird woman of B--------". Speaking to someone a few streets away recently, he commented that an elderly bird-feeding lady at the top of his road had died, but that the hundreds of pigeons sitting on her roof every morning obviously hadn't got the message. That made me even more wary about feeding too regularly, lest they make their way over to my place.
    [​IMG]

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My Sister-In-Law had a problem a few years ago in Aberdeen with gulls that attacked. People would have to take umbrellas if they wanted to to go to some parts of town.
    Generally though, I do think birds are one of the Good Things in life. I love seeing them around and hearing that great noisy chorus in the mornings. So vulnerable and so wonderful.