1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IT in teaching

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Marco82, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

Has anyone else read the OECD report carried the BBC today which shows that IT has not only no beneficial effect on outcomes but actually has a negative impact? I am sure this will be ignored by those with an exe to grind in the SQA but the results are conclusive. Speaking for myself, I am not totally against IT, used appropriately, but it's benefits have been oversold. In the acres of bumpf produced around CfE there was a massive emphasis on the use of IT, in the modern languages sections at any rate. For instance, you could read advice about teaching which would say "pupils will listen to a conversation between native speakers of French in which two young people discuss the advantages of ..." I can't remember exactly. But the thing was, this conversation existed only in the imagination of those charged with producing this ****. You could search the Internet for a lifetime and find nothing of the kind, I could multiply examples of this fantasy approach with the SQA promoting the use of "authentic" materials, that is, materials which are way beyond the capacity of even the best pupils. So, with course books practically banned, regarded as the work of the devil, we are expected to spend endless hours searching the net looking mainly in vain for material to use then finding that even the simplest "authentic" material would require hours of tinkering to make it useable. So, all over Scotland teachers are all engaged in the same fruitless search and end up creating their own work sheets which, as you can see on the TES Resources site, all look the same, all have the same limitations and are, generally, peppered with mistakes. A colleague said to me recently, dentists don't have to make their own drills so why is it that teachers are expected to create their own tools? A good question, and I would be happy to hear a convincing answer. Rant over, back to Champions' League.

2. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Here is the link to the article ...

www.bbc.co.uk/.../business-34174796

The situation is actually a whole lot worse than that because some regions went out of their way to get rid of their Computer Science Departments so that their computers could be used for this IT ***p. The way in which they did it was sly and pretty disgusting. First, Faculty Business Studies and Computing under a BS FH, and then just wait for Computing to be let wither away. Check the offerings of almost any Aberdeenshire Secondary as an example of this.

3. gnulinux

The gist of it ...

The report says:

Students who use computers very frequently at school get worse results

Students who use computers moderately at school, such as once or twice a week, have "somewhat better learning outcomes" than students who use computers rarely

The results show "no appreciable improvements" in reading, mathematics or science in the countries that had invested heavily in information technology

High achieving school systems such as South Korea and Shanghai in China have lower levels of computer use in school

Singapore, with only a moderate use of technology in school, is top for digital skills

The BBC article also refers to the report's deniers. The use of IT in school does not significantly prepare pupils for the workplace unless you are going to be a secretary or the like. Only the study of such as Computer Science is likely to do that. See the BBC programme 'Girls can Code'.

Many Scottish Secondaries have killed off Computing Science and therefore blighted the prospects of pupils chances of making a career for themselves in the Digital World.

4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

The use of IT in school does not significantly prepare pupils for the workplace unless you are going to be a secretary or the like.

Really? (Why don't you ask your lawyer, accountant or Doctor if they need good IT skills). What a sad view that is.

I worked in a school that had compulsory Admin as a subject. I am not a fan of compulsory subjects, the rational was that most jobs use IT at some point. and they do. Look at our schools, the amount of spreadsheets floating around is amazing, the sad fact is most teachers can not use them properly. Simple basic use of IT is a prerequisite for most jobs. I know an English teacher that can not use MS Word. The skills taught in Higher Admin are outstanding and are an asset to any pupil going on to Higher education or to the workplace.

Skills need to be taught, kids can play games on a PC but do not have work based skills and if you look at the standard of the average teacher it is clear that powerpoint should be taught to them, as well as the basics of spreadsheets and databases.

I came late to teaching and would not and did not accept the low standard of IT skills in my staff, why would we accept it in our schools.

5. gnulinux

So you came late to teaching??? It shows!!! Appalling grammar! And Higher Admin is not an IT subject in any meaningful sense.

I suggest that you read the report mentioned in this thread; then you might be able to make a more informed contribution to the discussion. Sadly, schools are now full of people like you who have a half-baked view of education.

6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

7. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

You would think so Jimmy wouldn't you, it was one of the things that I pure dead learnt when working in the big outside world that you pure canny argue with someone that thinks putting lots of ???? & !!!! Is what makes pure dead good grammar. Something I learned in school is to regard with the contempt they deserve a so called teacher that looks down their nose at a subject they do not understand.

I do not teach Admin but I recognise that people being taught outstanding skills and the knowledge to use computers properly is something that should be recognised. It is clear that someone passing higher Admin will be able to use a PC to the highest standard of any pupil in school and the majority of users out of school. Now that is meaningful use of IT. Employability skills and knowledge that people will pay for, now that is a quality qualification.

I wonder how some of our teachers would function outside of the protected school inviroment where the ability to function as a reasonable human being is a prerequisite and the little world of their "oh so important" subject" is reasonably question. Thankfully this type of teacher is starting to die out.

If Admin is not a meaningful IT subject what is? Now think about it before you give another stupid answer gnuliux

8. Roballs

Roballs New commenter

I get the feeling that the argument is really about IT vs ICT? From my perspective Admin is not really IT, although without looking at the depth to which they teach the relational database part of the course it is hard to make an informed judgement.