1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IT help re phones, routers and passwords

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Dec 12, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've apparently forgotten the password for connecting my phone to my router for wifi. Its not my Virgin account password or the passphrase which is on the router , it's the one that shows as "change me" and I did change it when we installed the kit but the password I made a note of no longer works. I've followed the advice of picking the password up off my husbands phone so I am connected but I still don't know what the word is. I might need it in the future. Does anyone know how to change it or would it be a tedious phone call to Virgin.
    This has cropped up as I have had to get a new phone due to water damage - don't ask :-(

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Try typing

192.168. 0.1

into your internet browser and see if that does anything. It should open the control panel for your Virgin router. To do anything else with it you'll have to know your router's log in details, but I'd be surprised if device access passwords couldn't be changed there. Then again there's always a web search for how to do it.

One silly thing you can do once logged into the router is change your router's display name to p*** off any neighbours who can detect your signal. Ours now says something uncomplimentary about the Daily Mail. Another good one is along the lines of WeKnowAllYourDirtySecrets.:)

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That looked really promising but it seems to want me to put in the original password in order to change it and I havent found anything about forgotten passwords.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's possible your router login password is different to your device access password but I can't be sure on that as I use a different provider. If it's not been changed since you installed it, it could be the default router password (eg 11111), which you might be able to locate via Virgin's website or in whatever literature accompanied the router, if any.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The link below goes through all the information on how to change the WiFi password/passphrase for each version of hub (select instructions for the hub you have).

It also says that, if you ever forget your new password, you can set it back to the default by resetting your Virgin Media Hub and tells you how to do this (this will also reset all other changes you have made to the Hub settings). After resetting your Hub, follow the instructions in the link to update your passphrase again.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-change-hub-wifi-password

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Just make sure you know what you are changing.

Your router has an administrator login and password - once logged in you will be able to change the WiFi password (anyone else who uses your WiFi will now have to use the new password).

Most routers will have the admin login and password on a label on the body. If you can't login with that (i.e. if you changed that too and can' t remember it either) you will need to factory reset the router and set it up again by-
    -pressing the factory reset button for a few seconds
    - setting a new admin login and password for the router
    -setting a new (and different) password for your wifi
    -you can also rename your network and do other tweaks which are relatively intuitive as you go through the menus, but are not essential to setting up your WiFi.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

All the routers I have had and use have the WiFi password written on the back.
    [​IMG]

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

As always, expert advice, thank you.
    As I've been able to pick up the password ( although only as *******) from husbands phone I wont meddle anymore but I will save these suggestions. I have tried using the password off the router - changeme - but it didn't work. The reset button will be the last ditch effort if its ever needed but as @colpee said - I need to be careful just what I change.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No advice but as you say
    having recently had to replace my phone, after 'water damage' and rice/heat etc all failed to work. I sympathise. It was a right 'faff' to get me re-registered and without my son's help I still wouldn't be. I 'authorised it' and then they 'talked' to him.

lindenlea likes this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I went into the shop but had to drive home to take in my laptop at one point but in the end the nice man sorted it out and I went in to pick up the new one today. What are we like eh!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Advantage is that with my new one WhatsApp actually is supported. :D

colpee likes this.