1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It has taken about 6 weeks...but enthusiasm for next term has arrived!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Apr 5, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Finally (in the middle of the night, yes I know how terribly sad that is!), I have thought of a way to use a story we have been given (no negotiation allowed) and still teach exciting and worthwhile literacy this term! With a heap of thanks to whoever it was ages ago who recommended the book 'Plot, Character and setting' which is full of good ideas.

Soooo, on what was going to be my first proper day off in the holidays, I'm excited and inspired to plan. :)

Just thought I'd share this news with people who might possibly understand and not think I'm a total freak as my FB friends and partner would.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Finally (in the middle of the night, yes I know how terribly sad that is!), I have thought of a way to use a story we have been given (no negotiation allowed) and still teach exciting and worthwhile literacy this term! With a heap of thanks to whoever it was ages ago who recommended the book 'Plot, Character and setting' which is full of good ideas.

Soooo, on what was going to be my first proper day off in the holidays, I'm excited and inspired to plan. :)

Just thought I'd share this news with people who might possibly understand and not think I'm a total freak as my FB friends and partner would.

3. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

I love it when an idea just comes to you and you really feel inspired by a topic. It is souch easier than sitting desperately trying to think of interesting activities which has happened to me a few times! Are we allowed to know about your topic?? I'm intrigued now!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The overall topic for everything is the seaside (history and geography of and life on a small island), but we have been given a short story to use in literacy.

5. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Well I hope the weather is nice for you and then you can do lots of things outside! I'm KS2 but I remember on teaching practice having to do Katie Morag for that topic and a lighthouse one, the class had great fun making their own lighthouses!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

not Katie Morag!!!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No not Katie, that's what I wanted to do...I loved her when I was little and was sooo looking forward to sharing her with my class. Going to read the stories in story time anyway.

The Lighthouse Keeper's lunch would also be fab and fit with electricity in science.

However we have a very short and unusual story to use, not a book, and no ready made resources on the net. We tell the story on the first day and then somehow get a whole three weeks of work from it.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I did The Tempest with Y2 last year and took my class to visit a light house on a tidal island