1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It had to happen - BLM "training".

Discussion in 'Personal' started by keyboard2, Jul 13, 2020.

1. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

So, our school has decided to ask staff to consider our practice to be as "inclusive as we can be".

We have to watch an "anti-racism" video and complete a survey.

There's nothing wrong with our school having a debate or consulting colleagues about our curriculum BUT - and it's a big BUT - there's no debate. Or consultation.

The BAME-as-Victim narrative does not trip off the tongues of those outside certain management circles. Yet ideas such as 'decolonising our curriculum' have gone from a contentious thought held by ultra liberal do-gooders, to being rolled out to all staff.

What to do?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just do it.

Not because you need it or because it might make you a better person. Because it you don't, they will have you pegged as a trouble maker and possibly racist to boot.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Take lots on 'no-notice' and nod your head at the appropriate moment..

4. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

I don't know if anyone has seen the Channel 4 programmes The School That Tried To End Racism.

There were things in it that I found quite disturbing, not the least its use of psychological manipulation. This isn't like completely positive campaigns like Kick Racism out of Football or Show Racism the Red Card. It is something else altogether, having its roots in Critical Race Theory. It needs to be resisted. Fortunately there is a racially mixed group doing just that:

https://twitter.com/dontdivideusnow?lang=en

artboyusa, DrLinus, Jonntyboy and 2 others like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Isn't the National Curriculum inherently racist? When is the DoE going to revise that?

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Is it possible to dislike someone of colour or to disagree with them, without being a racist?

7. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Yes, there is an air if inevitably, as morally weak leaders cave into the mob.

You have been diagnosed as being racist, by your organisation who along with others believe that a conviction is the same as fact. It is not.

This diagnosis was made against your will and without your consent. You will now find that the “cure” will be to try and invade the subconscious structures of your mind, with the aim of altering your perceptions so that they align with those that your organisation consider desirable.

However, the evidence shows that “implicit bias” training, and the like, has the reverse effect. Probably because individuals resent being marched of for attitude asgustment.

It’s a violation of your privacy, rights and an assault on freedom.

DrLinus and George_Randle like this.
  8. alex_teccy

How so?

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

How many BAME staff are on SLT and is that anywhere close to being representative of the nation, region and indeed school? They should start there and if none then this is a tick box of fakery. I don't believe in positive discrimination but if you have suitable middle leaders why not SLT? *Assuming you have BAME ML or indeed any on the staff at all.

10. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

11. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Following the links you give, I'm not convinced this is anything other than fake news.

12. needabreak

Last term we were asked to provide evidence of our inclusion and representation of BAME students, took me about ten minutes to identify some key areas on the spec and how I present them as I've done it for years, I was a bit put out by the request but did as requested, I doubt it will make a difference to anything, except remove my head from the block and the school from the barrel.

13. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

What a depressing, but thoroughly realistic reply. We're over a barrel here.

14. alex_teccy

One of our colleagues has addressed this in this timely article:

“With many young people now returning to school, the education sector is in panic mode as it considers how to address the horrifying death of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement's subsequent explosion on to the political scene. As a school leader, I have been contacted by a number of head teachers who are increasingly under pressure from both teachers and parents to be seen to be doing something. Unfortunately, many have resorted to implementing rushed measures.

While it is crucial for schools to address current events, it’s certainly not helpful to be shoehorning a topic as hefty as “race relations” into pastoral teaching. Restructuring the curriculum without due diligence carries obvious risks. Any changes to what we teach should be designed and debated among subject experts. Forcing through changes now, no matter how good the original intentions, could prove detrimental to our young people in the long run.

Advertisement
    Many of the changes revolve around divisive identity politics, with phrases such as “white privilege”, “white saviour” and “white fragility” presented as unchallengeable facts. The classroom is no place for critical race theory (CRT), the field of study which gave us such terms, especially if the (intellectually flimsy) arguments behind it are above reproach and alternate ideas are impermissible.

Unfortunately, the Chartered College of Teaching fully supports this approach, providing resources to enable schools to teach about “whiteness”, including “white racism, white identity, privilege, power and intersectionality”.

Mandated reading lists include an incredibly one-sided perspective on race relations. These lists all feature the same short selection of books which present one viewpoint as unquestioned truth, while offering very little empirical evidence in support. In an educational environment, opinions should be challenged, facts should be backed up with evidence, and literature should be balanced. If we’re going to insist that young people read Robin DiAngelo and Reni Eddo-Lodge, perhaps we could also suggest Booker T Washington and Thomas Sowell?

There has been an overt attempt to “decolonise the curriculum” for a long time, with Birmingham City University launching a campaign last year to erase Mozart from the curriculum and replace him with Stormzy to “shake up” music teaching in schools. But education should be about passing on knowledge, teaching the best there has been, not focusing on the most popular trends of the time. There may well be much to be learnt from Stormzy’s top hit Shut Up, but I doubt it compares to the technical complexities of a Mozart symphony.

Not only is the curriculum under threat, teacher training is at risk, too. It’s not enough to taint young people's knowledge with divisive identity politics; a growing number of “diversity trainers” are making a quick buck offering “unconscious bias training” to teachers. Harvard University’s Implicit Association Test is often used to highlight apparent unconscious biases, despite having been debunked by the scientific community, including the original architects of the test.

The idea that one may be racist without knowing it is particularly pernicious, yet anyone challenging the idea may be dismissed as simply expressing "white privilege". It’s a cheap intellectual trap designed to fleece the naive. Unfortunately, schools are hiring these snake-oil salesmen to provide continued professional development.

While most of these measures, from curriculum alterations to teacher training, are no doubt put in place by well-intentioned heads wanting to be seen to be doing the right thing, they risk stoking up racial tensions where there were little or none to begin with, causing potentially long-term harm to vulnerable young people. Schools could also breach the 1996 Education Act by failing to maintain political neutrality.

Thankfully, there is some opposition to the one-sided perspective offered by CRT enthusiasts. “Don’t Divide Us” is a cross-party campaign launched by former MEP Claire Fox, which I have been involved in. Its supporters come from a range of industries and include head teacher Katharine Birbalsingh and comedian Andrew Doyle. The organisation was set up to support schools through this minefield with fact-based investigations into the roots of social problems, without cowering to quick-fixes and simplistic explanations. It offers a far better way to help young people understand the world around them than either the trendy cod-science of CRT or the anti-capitalist, anti-Western, anti-Semitic campaign-driven rhetoric of the Black Lives Matter movement.

It may not have such an emotive slogan, but I desperately hope it catches on.”

Calvin Robinson is an assistant principal in the state sector

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

As with every new virtue fad, sorry, renewed consciousness of existing unfairness, someone will be paid a TA's annual salary to show up, state the bleedin' obvious, illustrate it with "facts" you could drive a coach and four through, then double-dog-dare anyone present to find fault with anything at risk of being singled out as an -ist.

16. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Judging by what has taken place across the world, isn't it better to be aware and enlightened? I know the RRAA policies in schools have never been dusted - my HT didn't even have on to hand to log incidents. This will make him think? Staff are really good in the main but some need a little reminder, particularly those new to teaching or in multi racial areas.

The world has changed and it's not all been good but we have to adapt.....

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I want to like this multiple times. You've absolutely hit the nail on the head.

18. Nealswife

Defo an issue for some schools in BAME schools - lower echellons and support staff only.

steely1 and needabreak like this.
  19. Nealswife

All lip service - many organisations do just that.

steely1 and needabreak like this.
  20. needabreak

In my experience too. Now to be fair not everyone seeks SLT or ML positions but surely if looking into systemic racism questions can be asked, though I'm not convinced the answers will be easy to swallow if they are honest, not paper exercises..

steely1 likes this.