1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“It feels like the Visigoths at the gates of Rome” - the cull of A levels

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Oct 18, 2016.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Talking of standards, it was announced last week on BBC news that an average of 40% of graduates got a first class honours degree, really? The honours systems is bankrupt.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That was at the University of Surrey, the average is about 24%, still ridiculously high.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40654933

More people get a first than a 2:2 these days.

There was someone on the radio claiming it was mainly down to superior teaching and students who work much harder than they used to - yeh :rolleyes:

lexus300 likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Must have mis heard:rolleyes: in my day one or two firsts from 150 initial intake (which fell to around a hundred by year three). That was at the North Staffs Poly, happy days.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I don't know if central records were ever kept, but that seemed to be the common experience of everyone who phoned in or contributed to the radio debate and also my experience of my course and those of my friends.

It was about:
    5% or less 1st
    45%+ 2:1
    45%+ 2:2
    5% or less 3rds

Must be the effect of all those A's and A*'s at gcse and A level going though the system.

In some places the teaching and efforts of the students have come on in leaps and bounds.

Biggest increases in first-class degrees in mainstream universities 2010-11 to 2015-16
    • University of Surrey 19.3% to 41.2%
    • University of East Anglia 12.5% to 34%
    • University of Bradford 10.3% to 27.6%
    • University of Stirling 11.6% to 27.8%
    • University of Derby 9.4% to 25%
    • University of Dundee 19.3% to 34.8%
    • University of West London 11.6% to 27%
    • University of Wales Trinity Saint David 7.1% to 22.2%
    • Southampton Solent University 8.6% to 23.5%
    • Staffordshire University 12.2% to 27% 14.8

lexus300 likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's some real academic powerhouses in that list.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Don't be snobbish peaky. We cannot all attend red brick uni's or Oxbridge ( not sure if they are all the same thing).

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow those are some numbers... really doing down the degrees.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Potential employers will notice these things, it starts at GCSE and goes right to the top.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Doing down the honours system?

10. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I missed this first time around...
    Not necessarily Classical- but any course on History should fit the bill.

But they were talking about withdrawing- i.e. the course already exists.

As recently mentioned and demonstrated.
    Blair did NOT do that- they pushed to get 1/5 the population doing qualifications to HND/ Higher apprentice/ Degree level- note only one of those involves university- two of them involve practical courses. For some reason- when people with degrees were asked to implement the move they felt that only degrees were worth anything and the other aspects were forgotten.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Edexcel proposed dropping A-level music in 2006 because they were getting only 5500 AS entries and 4500 A2 entries. Questions were asked in the house (there was an early day motion). The rumour on the examining team at the time was that the Dept for Education told Pearsons that they were welcome to drop music, but they would have to drop all 9 other National Curriculum subjects as well (goodbye Maths, English, MfL etc). They changed their mind astonishingly quickly.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

HNC/D in mech or elec/onic engineering is not a practical course. The HND is usually two years full time or four years part time whilst the HNC is two years part time on day release with an evening class.