1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“It feels like the Visigoths at the gates of Rome” - the cull of A levels

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Oct 18, 2016.

1. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

Wasting one's time should be available to people from all backgrounds.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And your degree was in?

3. CedricDaniels

Games Studies

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Keeping youngsters in education as long as possible, keeps the unemployment numbers down.

lexus300 likes this.
  5. CedricDaniels

That's what they said in 1972.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Nothing in what I said leads to the conclusion you've foisted on me.

University student numbers should be expanded to include those who want to go and can reasonably be expected to meet the standard required. This need not be at the expense of vocational education. Blair thought he was turning young people into highly qualified and skilled workers - and look where treating education merely as a route to better paid employment gets you.

The massive levels of debt are because of loans and fees. I do not approve of either. Means tested grants should cover both fees and basic living costs of ordinary people who gain a place.

7. FrankWolley

Never heard of it. Nor, apparently, has UCAS.

Try again.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I thought this piece by Waldemar Januszczak was spot on (about dropping History of Art A Level):

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a-prayer-for-art-history-gpbbb6xft

"It saved my life, if you must know. Art history lifted me out of a dark immigrant’s existence, where people washed their dogs in our communal bath, and turned me into a graduate. I was eight months old when my father was run over by a train in Basingstoke. I never knew him. I couldn’t speak any English till I was six. But I could look at paintings, at sculpture, at books full of pictures of beautiful things, at all the glorious art-historical evidence that survives from the story of humanity, and I could enjoy it and learn from it.

It soothed me. It educated me. Not just about my own world, but about all the other worlds out there. It filled my head with hopes and dreams. If it weren’t for art history . . . well, I dread to think how that sentence should end."

I found it a very moving piece.

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

But he could do all that stuff without studying Art History for A Level, couldn't he?

10. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I agree and I think this is the way things are heading, as more and more schools adopt the International Baccalaureate, which encourages the continuation of a broad education until 18, just as in many other countries. Students are obliged to continue with maths, English, a science and a foreign language, but can choose 2 more from a selection of other subjects, as well as deciding which 3 to take at Higher level and which 3 to take at Standard level.

You are limiting your options for university and jobs by choosing something like archaeology as one of only 3 A-level subjects.

11. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Probably would have been equally moved by reading fiction in English A-level or studying history or geography. If he was leading such a dark existence, any type of education would have probably inspired and given him hope.

12. CedricDaniels

Not surprised, you are a bit old-school Frank. UCAS give it code I621.

13. smoothnewt

But he didn't.
    And it was the study of Art History that made him who he is.

coffeekid likes this.
  14. smoothnewt

But it was Art History that did it for him, that made him who he is.
    "Probably" just doesn't cut it.

coffeekid likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Did John von Neumann tutor you?

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I cant accept that either. Glad I didnt say it.

17. FrankWolley

Well you did say:

There is a place for academic degrees but I'm afraid saddling young people from ordinary backgrounds with massive levels of debt devalues people as well as the economy.

Which seems to - at least - imply that this is what you meant. I'm glad you agree that people from ordinary backgrounds - like yours truly - would still be allowed to study non vocational subjects! ;)

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps there is nothing left to find?

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You're kidding !

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It was true then as well.