1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It feels impossible to be a part-time teacher and a mum of a three year old

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Sonny73, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Sonny73

Sonny73 New commenter

I’m looking for the experiences of teachers going part time after having children. I’m a secondary English teacher and have been trying desperately hard to stay in teaching after I had my daughter. I’ve worked in two schools in three years on a part time contracts and have found the experience soul destroying. I’ve been given the worst classes, felt completely undervalued, and I’m currently being pushed out of the second school as they only want ‘full time staff’. Throughout my time at my current school I’ve worked really hard to ‘sell myself’. I’ve had outstanding observations with some of the toughest classes in the school and even gone through interview processes for tlr posts. I’m not applying for another teaching role because I feel broken- it’s Easter next week and the school are not making my contract permanent. They’re advertising for full time staff. I’m looking at jobs with the local council which will halve my income because I don’t know what else to do. I believe I’m a really good, hardworking teacher- but I’m not recognised as such by schools. Despite the fact I have a young child, I’ve been adamant that my performance during work matches that of my colleagues. There are no concerns with my professional performance. I’ve been teaching for ten years. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Are you still inteaching? Did you return after your children were in school?