1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It can be done!!!!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by teacha, Jun 29, 2015.

1. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Today I joined agency number 13. "Are you paid via an umbrella company?" asked the consultant. "No," I replied. "I refuse to be paid by an umbrella company." He made a half hearted attempt to convince me, then, when he realised that I wasn't going to budge, and that he was about to lose a teacher, he gave up. My advice to anyone forced to join an UC is to stick to your guns and refuse. ALWAYS insist on being paid PAYE.

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

How very true.

3. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I also joined new agency today (as I want to keep at least two, and one of the others has turned a bit flaky since a new manager joined). I checked with new agency when we spoke on the phone that they pay PAYE - no issue. Met with them today - again no issue - box to tick on the contract, I just ticked agency PAYE, not Umbrella. I had been prepared for battle - none needed. maybe the tide is turning?

4. If youre proactive and agencies know you know the game and don't want UC its fine. They just force it on people they think will be desperate for the work and will do it

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Congratulations! When I have said to an agency that I will not us an UC, they have shown me the door!