1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘It can be done. I’ve visited schools where creative teaching is beating the tyranny of marking’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 8, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Two schools visited where this might happen. Problem solved then? OFSTED and Wilshaw to recant marking?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's difficult to see how lessons from the production of an American student newspaper can easily be applied to our exam driven system. It was difficult to find out quite how similar Palo Alto is to our schools. Wikipedia and the school website seemed to focus on sport, although there were hints of high achievement but few details that could be quickly checked.
    The Dorset school sounded lovely, humane and cross-curricular. I bet marking and assessment still keep their teachers driven though.
    It's cruel to taunt with articles big on hype but low on detail.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It shows a lack of understanding of how things seem to work in England. Everything that might save education and decrease workload instead becomes a huge extra pile of rules which have to be followed and strategies which have to be implemented.

phlogiston likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'The Reception children showed me their self-portraits on the wall as part of learning about diversity and the importance of being different. Year 1 had made cars out of old water bottles and straws, as part of learning about waste and recycling. Years 2 and 4 had covered hunger and used Fair Trade bananas and chocolate to learn about food and trade. Year 3 sang me a great song about water conservation and Year 5 showed me their maths work on religions. The finale was a tapestry of all the goals they had made and was in display in the school hall.'

Now, I wonder what Year 6 was doing??

In any case, this seemed to be one day set aside for whole school (minus Y6?) work on the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. Many schools have days like this - it doesn't mean the rest of their teaching & learning isn't the usual primary fodder, complete with triple marking in multi-colours.

Amybella and phlogiston like this.