1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Issues with team leader for exam marking

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by giantsky, Jun 23, 2012.

1. I am marking for the first time this year - have been teaching almost 8 years now and want to enrich my teaching (and yes, also earn a bit extra). Found the whole process of getting to grips with the online software and understanding how it all works - practice, qualification etc. (etc. etc.) rather difficult given the fact that I am still working full time (plus middle management role) and do this in spare time. From the word go my team leader has been replying to questions in a tone that indicates irritation with my questions - spoke on the phone a while ago and was left feeling like an fool for having contacted them and almost daring asking the questions I did! I am at the point now where I dread sending questions for review or having to email them (every email I have sent so far has had some sort of snidy remark/tone in the reply).
    Any comments or help appreciated - I am on the verge of considering quitting this altogether. Does not feel worth it to mark thousands of questions over a 2 week period only to get treated like this by someone who is supposed to be supporting me. Just does not seem worth the more or less £400.
    Am I being overly sensitive?

2. I am marking for the first time this year - have been teaching almost 8 years now and want to enrich my teaching (and yes, also earn a bit extra). Found the whole process of getting to grips with the online software and understanding how it all works - practice, qualification etc. (etc. etc.) rather difficult given the fact that I am still working full time (plus middle management role) and do this in spare time. From the word go my team leader has been replying to questions in a tone that indicates irritation with my questions - spoke on the phone a while ago and was left feeling like an fool for having contacted them and almost daring asking the questions I did! I am at the point now where I dread sending questions for review or having to email them (every email I have sent so far has had some sort of snidy remark/tone in the reply).
    Any comments or help appreciated - I am on the verge of considering quitting this altogether. Does not feel worth it to mark thousands of questions over a 2 week period only to get treated like this by someone who is supposed to be supporting me. Just does not seem worth the more or less £400.
    Am I being overly sensitive?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Get in touch with your examination board directly and make a complaint. I would also forward copies of the email to the examination board to show what you mean.
    Your teamleader is there to help you, not make snide remarks.

4. I agree with Karvol but in the meantime, keep marking and keep asking questions, especially if your board is one which pays a bonus if you finish on time - you can lose quite a lot if you don't.
    Good luck.

5. Thanks - will do.

6. Definitely let your exam board know as this person is not doing their job and sounds very arrogant. £400 is a very poor rate of pay as well.

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

How is this indicated?
    If you are asking questions that have already been spelt out in documentation aleady given to you then the team leader may feel exasperation at this. That is no excuse for being rude but they should point out to you that such questions should not really be necessary; now some folks may take that being snidey.
    Not sure what you mean. Why did you feel like a fool. The tone of voice? or what was said.
    Tone, of an email? The text of an email contains no subtle non verbal nuances.
    Stick at it. Don't give anyone the satisfaction of seeing you quit just because of their obnoxiousness, besides it encourages them to carry on doing it.
    chin chin.