1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Issues with Dreamweaver inserting FLV files.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by spiderq, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Has anyone else had this issue and can anyone suggest a solution?
    We are using Dreamweaver CS5 to complete the OCR Unit2 website . I am having problems getting the FLV video files to run/display at school but works ok at home on my laptop so I am assuming it may be a filepath issue. When students try to insert the video DW should create 4 files to run it- these files are not being created.Can anyone suggest any solution?

2. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

Try creating your own Flash document to play the flash video and then embed this.
    Check to see if the school web browser has an up-to-date version of the Flash control.
    Check absolute/relative file path.
    Press F5 to refresh the browser page and see if it starts then... had this issue a number of years back and put it down to the FLV file not caching correctly before an attempt is made to play it.

3. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

My understanding is that in CS5 the local playback of embedded video does not work.

It needs to be hosted on a webserver (allthough this can be set up on the local network)
    Read this link (the section headed) "Viewing problems when previewing pages locally"

4. Thanks for that info, very useful, may be the answer I'm looking for ( but one that will open up another can of worms!). I know how to set up IIS on my own machine and my videos run perfectly in my sample website at home without that.It's either persuade the network manager to do this OR look for free hosting - any other suggestions would be very welcome.