1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Issues facing Science Teachers?

Discussion in 'Science' started by susiejay, Mar 8, 2012.

1. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

I think they are pretty good ideas. You could also think about Health and Safety... or literacy in science is pretty big (kids pretty much have to learn a whole new language and way of writing).. Good luck!

2. Yes, I was just talking to someone and literacy in Science came up, I also thought about the fact you have to teach three subjects as oppose to one like most teachers?

3. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

Also, don't forget that we have to be maths for science teachers too!!
    Another big issue: gender gaps in each science.

4. Popular media (films, TV, etc) introducing students to scientific ideas that are incorrect and when taught in the classroom are in student's minds a separate idea entirely i.e. energy, light, global warming

5. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

And to extend that: phrases being adopted from everyday life that are also scientifically incorrect. e.g. my favourite "no Miss, heat DOES rise" [​IMG]

Also, as a physics teacher (and like someone else has said) - trying to teach some mathematical concepts that either the pupils don't grasp in maths, can't transfer to science as it's a different subject, or haven't even met yet (e.g. taught vectors and scalars to a year 11 triple science group who have yet to cover them in maths. Fun!). It's extremely important to know what the pupils have already covered in other subjects when the lesson will be linked to them.

6. Hmmm another misconception and of course a difference in what is being taught in Art and Science; yes the bane of Primary colours! Having students trying to convince you that yellow is a primary colour is wonderful to hear. However when corrected with a dazzling light show (ok exaggerated there) they still do not believe you and even remark that the text books are incorrect[​IMG]

7. For the subtractive colour system for paint, inks and dyes yellow is a primary colour. As paints inks and dyes are the stock in trade of artists then yellow is a primary colour to them and makes the teaching of the colour wheel more sensible.
    The additive colour sytem applies to light where the primary colour is green which tends to be the Physicist's thing.
    For artists saying that yellow is not a primary colour is a bit pointless as with subtractive colour you can make green by mixing.
    Artists should not be derided because they have a different point of view. By the way I am science trained but appreciate art is a high intensity subject when it comes to thinking.

8. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

Boom