1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Issues at Placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by purpletealeaves, Nov 23, 2017.

1. purpletealeaves

purpletealeaves New commenter

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if I'm over reacting here or I need to confront my mentor on some situations that have arisen.

From the very start they had made it clear he had never mentored a PGCE student before which to be honest filled me with dread. They have never been over the top supportive nor paid me any compliments on my teaching or how I have bonded with the students. I now currently have two classes I teach solely on my own I have built strong relationships with the learners and their attainment has improved.

The other day I had a little blip due to stress and he finally caved and paid me the only compliments I have ever heard from him.

The issues I am having is that my mentor will consistently over take me when any of my students will ask for my help. We teach on a creative course to which we need to demo activities and they won't let me do these myself. Today was the last straw when I had received an email telling me that my mentor had okay'd a student to be included on a trip we has both decided that they were not to be included on for behaviour issues and safeguarding. Now am I wrong to be peeved that this has happened without discussion with myself or am I taking myself too seriously for a PGCE student?

(forgive my English here I've been sat staring at the laptop for 4 hours)

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Perhaps it could (and should) have been handled differently, but this is only a placement, and it doesn't last for ever. Just keep your head down, nose to the grindstone, nod / shake your head as and when required, and focus on getting a decent write-up from them at the end of it. Best of luck, I'm sure you will do well.:)

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. purpletealeaves

Thanks for the reply :)

Just as I thought.

I did fire back an email saying I'd have appreciated talking it over first and explaining why. Maybe I should have waited until I was next at placement. Oh well I am still learning...:rolleyes:

4. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Yes keep your head down and get through it. Realistically the teacher will still have this class long after you’ve skipped off to your next placement.

Pomza and blueskydreaming like this.
  5. purpletealeaves

Yeah wish I'd have thought before leaping in - we had a discussion this morning where they stated they believed I was belittling him via email on his ability to teach the class. The air is cleared now (after a few tears from myself also) ... I generally feel a tad overwhelmed at the moment. My mentor is advising I drop a day a week in placement as I've already hit my teaching hours to focus on my assignments (I do work part time also.) I thanked him for this as I do think he's looing out for me and my wellbeing but I can't help but feel a little paranoid.

6. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Glad it's been resolved, now you can concentrate on assignments without having it rattling around at the back off your mind. Kind of a fresh start. And perhaps being 'a little bit paranoid' as you put it, isn't necessarily a bad thing. It probably stems from uncertainty and lack of confidence, mixed in with a desire to be good at what you do.:)