1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Issues about workload fair representation and equalities are magnifed for black teachers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Curae, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Curae

Curae Star commenter

If you are a leader a decision maker mover and or shaker take note of what NEU reports ( as f we didn't know this already)

I most certainly can vouch for this. I will never forget how my white non British European mother used to tell me "us foreigners (she included all people of colour and white of non British descent) ..we have to be best at what we do better than all the rest to achieve equality". I used to think this was an exaggeration but now approaching retirement and having seen so many cases of unfair treatment, capability and simply being overlooked for promotion I have to agree with her even now as I approach my 6th decade yes inequality is alive and kicking. It might be dressed down a little , it might be not as explicit but boy o boy is it still there !. Take my lovely department ..I love my colleagues I really do every single one of them I bear no grudge whatsoever BUT as a member of 30 years experience ( I have seen a lot ) I can tell you that if you are black, female and non British the chances of you being on capability , warned and on a lower teaching scale are far higher than that for a young white British male who will have a far higher chance of promotion regardless of experience or ability.

So I could argue that my mother was wrong (even if one works hard one might never attain equality).

I hope we do move closer to equality and hope that one day there will be significant changes.

travelwings, drek and Flanks like this.
  2. tardis

tardis New commenter

I'm glad you raised this as it is completely true and non more so than in school and colleges. I have worked in both and saw my white counterparts move up the greasy pole alot faster than I ever did even though I worked text times harder and had outstanding results. I noticed also I got a heavier timetable particularly in Fe which I eventually left. Funnily enough after spending 10 plus years in Fe I got a job in the private sector still within education and was offered promotion vitually within months of being taken on. Inequality is rife in schools and Fe and even though I am not nearing retirement I have seen more than enough to convince me that it exists. We had job losses in one of the places that worked and virtually every single person who lost their job was non white. The statistics for this proved it when the union tackled the management about this as many complaints were lodged. I laugh at the equality act as I know it is nothing more than just a worthless piece of paper.

travelwings, drek and Curae like this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

on the other side, the hostility directed towards whites can be very intimidating nd upsetting

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sad to say that I have no direct experience of working with black colleagues. Which is ridiculous really! It's not as if I worked my whole career on a tiny island in the Orkneys or something! In that case it wouldn't be hugely surprising. And I know I'm coming over as just peddling the old stereotype here but it's actually based on mathematical probability more than prejudice.

Personally I tend to focus on women' rights and (to a lesser extent) LGBT issues in the workplace but that's just happenstance. It's also hard to argue a case when you don't have a colleague on whose behalf you can agitate.

I'd be amazed if it weren't the case. You only have to look at the vitriol the black footballers attract. Those "fans"? Abusing Raheem Sterling? Have they been prosecuted? I don't think they have. It's a disgrace. A national disgrace. I feel I'm just wringing my hands helplessly here. Impotent.

JohnJCazorla, xkat25 and Curae like this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Taking people as I find them, I would substitute 'success' for 'equality' but recognise the truth that in many environments how a person looks influences how their peers & superiors regard them.

DIPS1 and Curae like this.
  6. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Same for Asian males. I have friends who are Asian males and they have been overlooked on so many occasions. One even ‘lost’ a promotion to an unqualified teacher, though he was much Loren competent and experienced.

Curae and henrypm0 like this.
  7. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Yes I can well believe this as I have seen it happen at least twice . My school contains mainly non white children the vast majority of whose parents were not born in the UK ...it's an inner city London school. The academic staff are largely white with a few middle management non white however look at SLT and they all entirely white British as have been all the HTs and deputies for the last 3 decades. Look at the non teaching staff a mix of white / non white. The cleaners and catering are 100% black. Those that are promoted in the non teaching sections have been nearly always white. However those under capability again 100% non white of Asian or black African descent.

drek and Sanz1981 like this.
  8. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Have you seen the guardian article today? Re the report from resolution about inequality amongst workplace, particularly on grounds of ethnicity.

It’s like they were reading our thread.

Curae likes this.
  9. Curae

Curae Star commenter

No but I most certainly will.It us a real problem and we are loosing out on so much talent and TBH some staff were selected purely because they sounded good at interview had no track record of success but yes you guessed they were white British and then proven themselves to be rubbish. Also when looking at capability ...a non white teacher merely needs to state something slightly out of tone yet wit others there is alot more tolerance Everything I state is from my observations over decades and not guess work. .Yes folks racism is alive and kicking this is comming from me a White British professional and yes I don't like it either and yes sometimes the reaction to white staff can seen unfair but no where near what our black colleages have to put up with.

drek likes this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Strange, I have probably worked with half a dozen black people in education. 2 of them were SMT!

11. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Interesting.

I've worked in four schools. Two of which had SMT that were heavily black/Asian.

12. Curae

Curae Star commenter

My observations are NOT "strange" or "interesting" at all they are sadly real, reliable and representative in all professions if they weren't they would be no call for equality policies no matter how feeble or actionable. Maybe now is a good time to educate ourselves and accept inequality and dare I say do something about it .

Here are some facts to start with:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...ethnic-minorities-lose-32bn-a-year-in-pay-gap

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    travelwings and Sanz1981 like this.
  13. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

Maybe it depends where you are in the UK. I would expect an inner City School in London to have a staff that broadly reflected the local demographic . I don't think this is always the case. However age is also a factor in staff demographics now.