1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Israel bars U.S. politicians

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cuddlesB4, Aug 15, 2019.

1. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Trump is determined to get American Jews to vote Republican, even though the main Israel supporters in the USA are the Christofascist Evangelicals.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There speaks the voice of the anti-god.
    In the last days, the devil shall appear as an angel of light!
    A man determined to destroy a nation for his own vanity of thinking all he says is correct!

4. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

Yes, they should not have been stopped from visiting the country. How do you feel about these countries banning all Israeli Jews?
    • Syria
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Yemen
    • Libya
    • Algeria
    • Bangladesh
    • Brunei
    • Kuwait
    • Lebanon
    • Malaysia
    • Oman
    • Pakistan
    • Sudan
    • Saudi Arabia
    • United Arab Emirates

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Does Israel ban these citizens?

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

They promote BDS. Hardy surprising. Trump is irrelevant.

burajda and artboyusa like this.
  8. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

Trump is saying the Congresswomen should not be allowed to visit Israel. How is that irrelevant?

Has there ever been a time when a president has ever said to another country they should not allow elected US politicians to visit? Never until now, as far as I know, and both politicians are muslims.

Quelle surprise.

9. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

I don't think banning all Israeli Jews is necessary. Next question.

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No. Citizens of those countries can visit Israel, they can apply for visas like anyone else in the world but need authorisation from Israels ministry for foreign affairs. The problem is to do with their own governments as citizens of those countries would probably find the process easier if their own governments recognised the state of Israel and initiated diplomatic ties with Israel.

11. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

If Trump is irrelevant what is this all about?

upload_2019-8-16_10-52-2.png

12. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

What, all of them? No, it doesn't. Why are you even asking? Is it better to ask the question in the hope that people will assume that Israel does ban them?

Well as you know, it doesn't ban them all.

For example, it's difficult for someone with a Malaysian passport to visit Israel, because their own government has to give approval, and usually don't . Israel doesn't ban them.
    Another example: Syrian citizens can visit Israel with a 90 day visa.

13. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

Another time a black member of Congress was banned from entering a country. January 1975.

congress.jpg

14. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

I'm a little bit puzzled by this.

I know that Israel frequently refuses permission for people to enter Palestine and that this case is nothing new in that sense. But the fact that they are high profile congresswomen makes it a bit different. Leaving aside the family visit, I'm not sure what these women could actually achieve in Palestine other than publicity and raising awareness of the plight of Palestinians and Israel's refusal seems likely to generate just as much- or more - publicity and chatter as any visit could do.

So, all I can see that Israel gains from this is Trump's approval, which while important, isn't really in doubt anyway. As far as i can see, they risk losing more than they gain with this.

At the end of the day, all the protests in the world won't change Israeli behaviour towards Palestine so long as it enjoys support from the US government. And that support is safe, provided public opinion in the US doesn't turn against it.

ETA
    In fact, just as I post that, up pops this on my twitter feed.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr...b-lays-bare-its-oppressive-reality/?tid=sm_tw

Bill8899 likes this.
  15. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

The more light shone on Israel the better. An ever growing number of people are coming to the realisation that Israel is an apartheid state worse even than South Africa was. This episode is no exception.

Omar and Tlaib are doing a great job of exposing this evil.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Those people are misguided.

artboyusa likes this.
  17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I don't go so far as to accuse Israel of being an "apartheid" state, but I can see why people use the term, and it definitely has a human rights problem. The longer the Israeli Occupation goes on (and it's 52 years now) the more glaring the anomalous position of over 2 million Palestinians becomes, deprived of the vote and of the rights of citizens, and the more oppressive the Israeli regime becomes, especially in its use of collective punishment - eg house demolition on the flimsiest of pretexts - against what in effect is a captive population. If it's true that the two-state solution is now dead, then there must be a one-state solution - the Palestinian territories formally annexed by Israel, and its population granted full status as Israeli citizens.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Didn't the devil start as an angel of light?

blue451 likes this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Israel is an apartheid state? So how come Palestinian Arabs who are citizens of Israel have equal rights as Jewish citizens. eg: can vote, stand as MPs, join the security services, enjoy equal access to health, education, services etc. There's certainly discrimination, but comparing Arab citizens of Israel to Africans in apartheid South Africa is ludicrous.

20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Why would Israel give the vote to 2 million people who live in a neighbouring territory that is not part of the Israeli state. Many of those 2 million are Jordanian citizens. They are not denied a vote by Israel, they vote in municipal and presidential elections for their own Palestinian representatives. A vote that is currently being denied by a Hamas boycott and Al Fatah who have cancelled elections. House demolitions do not take place if there is proof of ownership and do not take place in Palestinian adminstered areas where over 90% of Palestinians reside. Most recent illegal demolitions of Palestinian homes have taken place on a large scale by the Egyptian army on their side of the Gaza border.