1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ISR

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by adrixargentina, Sep 20, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Is there are search function on the ISR website?
    Is it a case of, if I can't find a school then that's positive i.e. no one wants to complain about it?!

Thanks

2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Search function?
    You find a school by country, then alpabetically by name.

And if you can't find it mentioned it's either:
    • Noone has anything to complain about
    • Noone gets out alive
    • Too new for reviews

abikuwait, Alice K, agcb256 and 2 others like this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Ah yes, the ISR, that internationally-recognized source of wisdom, reliable information, accurate assessment and up-to-the-minute, factual and unbiased honesty. Or not.

4. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Yes, I've just spotted the list of countries. I've forked out the $29 and I'm already disappointed at how old some of the reviews are for some schools. Only a handful seem to have reviews in the last 2 years.

5. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

There are new reviews all the time, I suppose it depends where you're looking.

I find it very useful, with the caveat that a school can change radically practically overnight with a change of management.

6. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

@adrixargentina ISR is what it is. You have to read the reviews with an open mind. If there are 40 reviews of the same school that are all bad then chances are that something is very wrong at the said establishment and best to be avoided. I like the ones where you get scores of: 2, 3.5, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1.5, 10, 2, 3.5, 2, 1,5 etc... in cases like these the '10' has probably been written by management for obvious reasons. All in all, I would rather ISR was there than NOT there; you look and make your own mind up. After a while you can spot the whingers (sp?) from the genuine +/- reviews.

7. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I have found the reports of my work places,past and present to be pretty accurate.

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

And I have not.

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i find it hilarious...well worth the $29 just for a laugh

10. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I found it useful - generally speaking. It would definitely help new teachers avoid the kind of school that may or may not pay you at the end of the month.

11. the hippo

Some of the reviews are rather old and therefore optimistic souls might perhaps assume that the schools that had negative reviews have now improved and are much better places in which to be a teacher. Often this is a naïve and foolish assumption. In most cases, the same loonies are in charge of the asylum, so not much has changed.

towncryer likes this.
  12. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

You should probably focus on the directors reports as these characters tend to move around a lot. Leopards do not change their spots and you see the same behavior reported in school after school.
    So if you know who the director is or is going to be...check out their history on ISR if it's there,

adrixargentina likes this.
  13. the hippo

The directors? Yes, towncryer, you have a point here, but also please remember that the school's owner (or owners) appoint the director. If you are going to quote the old proverb about leopards not changing their spots, then I will quote the one that says "He who pays the piper calls the tune." And you won't find any "owners reports" in the ISR.

14. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Not all schools have owners (my last 3 haven't), and your comments about owners is exactly why for profit schools have such dodgy (sometimes unfairly) reputations.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  15. dumbbells66

Could not agree more @yasf ....plenty of non profits out there, you just need to look.

16. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

ISR is a useful tool, but not the only thing you should rely on.

Another thing to look for is a string of bad reports (because they all tend to be bad rather than good) over the course of one year. That might be because there is a genuine problem; but it might also be simply because there's new management in trying to turn things around and fighting with a group of dyed-in-the-wool staff who don't want to change the way they've always done things.

17. the hippo

Plenty of non-profits? Well, I have never counted them, so I suppose that I will have to take your word for that, dumbbells66. Perhaps it might also the case that many school owners would like you to think that no one really "owns" the school and that in fact it is really a golden-hearted, generous, kind, philanthropic and charitable institution (and one that just happens to make a big profit for the owners). My present saintly school has owners and charges lower fees than the other schools in Sofia, so it might be another year or two (or three) before it is in the black. Does that mean that it is "non-profit"? Is it possible for a school that has owners to be "non-profit", yasf, or would you say that the two concepts are mutually exclusive?

18. dumbbells66

non profit means the money goes back into the school, not the owners bank account. if they charge more then thats a benefit to the school and the teachers

19. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

You can also find reviews and information on International Schools Community.

adrixargentina likes this.
  20. the hippo

Yes, dumbbells66, I agree that if we were to have a school where any profit is ploughed back into the school, rather than the owner's bank account, then that would indeed be a "non-profit school". But quis custodiet Ipsos custodes? How do we really know that the owner (or owners) really are not making a huge profit, if we have not been given a copy of all of their bank statements? In one school where I was teaching, the staff were told that the school was "non-profit", but the owner leased all of the buildings to the school. So the school, as such, did not make a huge profit and in fact it barely broke even, but I daresay that the owner found it all very profitable.