1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ISR reviews

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cbahia1, Jan 11, 2020.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

amysdad makes a very valid point. The ISR reviews usually lump all of the schools together. A kindergarden teacher might have a very accurate and helpful insight into what is going on in the kindergarden, but not know much about what is happening in the high school or even in the primary. The ISR reviews that are most valuable are the ones that try (and I stress "try") to be balanced, giving you the good, the bad and the ugly - as well as the beautiful too.

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Some of the the reviews are total carp

Someone once wrote that I was fat :(:(

towncryer and JKBKK like this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

But again if the different elements of a school are run totally different in primary, junior and secondary this is an indication of serious problems. Why is the primary all professional and the secondary and complete shambles? This points to a total failure in the governance of the school by the directors and owners.

If the school in Beijing is a total pile of untreated sewage the school in Shanghai is not going to smell of roses.

towncryer and Teachallover like this.
  4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@Feb31 - the focus of governors and heads tends to be on secondary (that's where the headline exams are) so they are more likely to meddle and interfere there. That means secondary doesn't get the chance to actually develop properly because "initiatives" are introduced with no thought to the consequences of that, for example - but because primary are largely ignored they can change and develop structures and curricula which benefit the kids, and have the time to see these properly embedded.

It can also come down to the character of the head of primary / secondary. If you have someone who is more likely to resist daft suggestions or to face down a bully, then there's more likely to be stability. That can be the difference (have seen both in action....)

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  5. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

As Feb 31st points out the ISR Member's Forum is probably a better place to glean up to date info than the Reviews. What do the Reviews really mean ? I worked at a school that I really didn't like (for a range of reasons) yet all the ISR Reviews make no mention of the problems at the school. Further, I worked at a great school that has an absolute stinker of a Review on ISR. That one Review bore absolutely no relation to the school that I worked at, yet was written for the same time period that I was there.

Most good schools will give you contact details for the staff association, or chair of the staff CR, or person responsible for new staff induction etc you can speak to them directly, and get a much better sense of the school. At our current school we give relevant staff emails to applicants who are shortlisted (e.g. teachers in the dept that they have applied to), suggesting that they make some contact before interview to get a good sense of the ethos and expectations. We don't want to interview / appoint people who are not concordant with our values & expectations, so we believe that transparency is the best option.