1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iSpring QuizMaker for LMS

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by chris_elevate, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Hi
    Does anyone here use iSpring QuizMaker to create their quizes on their LMS/VLE?
    I've downloaded a trial version and am just looking for some help on how to get it to upload to Moodle etc?
    Thanks

2. Haven't used the quizmaker but I tried out an older version of their ISpring Presenter and I wonder if it is a similar thing? It makes quiz questions too. You basically save it as SCORM and then add to Moodle via "add an activity>SCORM" The training centre at my school did a series of posts about such packages and their Ispring one is here :http://ourlearning.co.uk/?p=280

3. Seems horribly pricey.

4. I've created a test quiz and uploaded as a zip file to our moodle but it comes out VERY small. Hmmmm.... anyone experienced with software?
    I assume it'll automatically hold the marks within the VLE and list studetns who have/haven't completed the work - this is why it's SCORM compatable isn't it? Otherwise it'd just be a flash based quiz?
    Thanks

5. Could be lots of reasons. A SCORM file is just the bits that make the quiz up zipped together. Looking at the quiz bits, it doesn't seem to do a huge amount, so the .SWF bit (flash) needn't be very large. The quiz text can either be stored as an XML file or store inside the SWF (with the advantage of zipping).
    Moving from Flash to SCORM isn't difficult. The hardest bit is probably getting round Flash's security :) it's not that keen on letting you call Javascript functions, which you have to do to talk to the VLE. But it's only a few k of javascript (see http://pipwerks.com/2007/08/10/actionscript-javascript-and-scorm/ for example)
    Actually, having seen the query thing, you don't really need flash at all, you might as well do it in Javascript :)

6. Looks like yours is an extension. It can convert PPTs into Flash then SCORM ; the quizmaker just does the quiz bit :)
    PS: Very interesting set of blog posts there :)

7. Orion

Orion New commenter

Try here...

http://animatedscience.co.uk/blog/ispring-revision2

I use with Moodle no issues. The size issue is from the school master template, just get them to delete any panes on the RHS of the quiz to max out the size.

I have had a amazing results!

8. Orion

Orion New commenter

Sorry, also forgot to say, get an educational discount, and also you can export to just HTML5 so no flash issues, works on any device!

9. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood New commenter

I've been torn on Quizmaker - I love the front end, it's great for making quizzes with a variety of question types, but I haven't had any luck integrating with an LMS. At the minute I get the reports emailed to me when students finish a quiz, which I then record in my markbook. Not ideal!

I'd prefer to keep clear of Moodle. Ideally I'd use a WordPress-based solution as I have a courseware website made in WP, but none of the big WordPress courseware plugins have free trials - I don't particularly want to spend upwards of $100 to find it isn't a good fit!

I'd honestly be happy enough if quiz results were added to a Google Spreadsheet or some such - I just want a method of recording quiz data in a usable format, and short of subscribing to iSpring's Learn platform (which again is very pricey) that seems like a (weirdly) big ask.

This feels like a perpetual back burner problem for me. If you get anywhere with it, do please share!

10. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

There are a quite a few email to Google sheet parsers out there.
    Some have free versions, so it is probably worth a search to see if one fits your particular needs.
    ...or if you are feeling adventurous you could write your own script

11. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter