1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Isolation units are draconian psychological torture'

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Cervinia, Nov 9, 2019 at 7:35 PM.

1. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

I am aware that the following sentence is going to cause many a hissy fit among readers, but, frankly, I don’t give a damn. Sending students to isolation rooms is a draconian, outdated form of psychological torture, which should have no place in our education system.

Now, before anyone says, “How am I supposed to teach my lesson if I can’t send a disruptive studentto isolation?” I would like you to think of the teacher in 1986 saying, “How am I supposed to teach my lesson if I can’t cane the disruptive ones?”

TES article somewhere on here.
    Thoughts?

2. gravell

gravell New commenter

OK i'll bite. I personally remember from my school days that the cane was not a deterrent but at least if the pupil was sent to another room so the lesson could continue and the rest of the classes education does not suffer. Now as for isolation room there are essentially two classes of pupil that get sent, there is one who is essentially having "a bad day" and its not aimed at you personally and often at the time there is very little you can do. However I will always make a point in following up with them at some future point in order to discuss what went wrong in the lesson if I send them to isolation. The other type who has some major issues in their life, who regularly cause problems because they can't deal with the school, which I may send to isolation so I can teach the rest of the class. Both of these need support and if it is available in a school I will do my best to ensure its put in place and regardless I will speak to them after the event.
    However shoot me down in flames if you wish I am not naive I'm sure in some occasions isolation does them damage but what about the damage done to the pupils that are trying to learn. Yes these pupils need support, no in the lesson in some case is not the time to do it, yes if I send a pupil to isolation I will always follow up with the pupil and their Head of Year.
    For the record I send perhaps 1 or 2 pupil to isolation a term.
    So in short yes I support isolation room and for the great majority of pupils I think it does very little harm. If a pupils get sent to isolation regularly from a subject or all lessons support from the whole school should be put in place.

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

As a mum of children who were generally well behaved and had to be good role models for disruptive children throughout their school careers I would ask you about their rights. One of mine spent the vast amount of time in secondary school sitting between two boys, one of whom is now serving a sentence for drug dealing and one who was involved in an attempted murder. She was one of those quiet nice girls who had to suffer this for five years. You may only teach naughty kids two or three times a week, but the kids in the class are usually together 25 hours a week. Add to that the time that Hoys etc spend on these kids and all the counselling etc. Quiet nice kids are often ignored, they know that awards etc are directed at and designed for the naughties. Isolation gives those kids a break. I know some kids have terrible problems but all kids deserve time and praise.

gravell likes this.