1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isolation Rooms Slammed

Discussion in 'Education news' started by katykook, Nov 12, 2018.

1. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

angelahorn likes this.
  2. R13

R13 New commenter

If only the press were up for a grown up discussion of an issue. On e month we will see an article slamming inclusion rooms, the next we will see one on exclusions being too high and another month we will read of the terrible number of school staff being hurt. It always seem as if we are being encouraged to be 'anti' all of these trends with no thought as to their inter relation.
    And no thought to the fact that societal issues might be at play here too rather than it just being a 'school issue'

3. install

install Star commenter

Mmmmm...Some are in complete denial about the 'real' problems of some poorly behaved students..

1 Why isn't it the awful violent behaviour of some students that is 'slammed'?

2 Why don't some Ofsted types or Ceos ir heads offer to teach these students?

3 Why isn't Danger Money being offered?

4 Why are Body Cams not being suggested?

5 Why don't they install metal detectors?

6 Why don't they care about students that endure poor behaviour ?.

Because some in uk society want schools to.solve all of the problems caused by society :cool:

angelahorn, bonxie, scilady and 9 others like this.
  4. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

These are the pretend rooms we use to pretend we haven’t excluded them temporarily right? There is an easy answer. Release them to the care of their parents.

5. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

And there’s a simple answer to that, unfortunately (which shouldn’t be the case).

What care?

6. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

2 quotes come to mind that I keep hearing recently.

1. Schools should be banned from excluding pupils because it dramatically reduces the outcomes for those who have been excluded.

2. Bring back discipline in schools.

These people have no idea what is actually going on in schools otherwise they wouldn’t say such stupid things. The article above... I have no words... it’s just idiocracy and behrating teachers for the sake of it!!! It wouldn’t surprise me if the education minister were feeding these stories to the press to drive down wages and encourage expensive people to leave teaching.

7. xtra

xtra New commenter

Could it be that the BBC (governments’ favourite paper) are beginning their attacks to public discredit us in anticipation that the unions may go on strike over the pay deal and budget?

Lalex123 and agathamorse like this.
  8. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Parents of children who are sent to isolation rooms.

To start with, a large number of these children have either SEND or ACE in their lives and their parents are having to manage needs as much as we are.

Isolation rooms are not an appropriate outcome.

Those parents who lavish such paucity of care on their child that their child's behaviours leads to the child being placed in isolation rooms.

That’s a great idea. Compound the problem. Take all care away from them.

Your enterprising Johnny who despite having no ACE, SEND and experiencing strong supportive parenting kicks off to the degree he receives a two day suspension commuted to two days in an isolation room.

It’s not that much of a deal to anyone. To the parents, there's no difference, to Johnny, It’s just more school. Send him back to the parents forcing them to take time off work or make provision and they’ll be keen for him not to do it again.

9. drek

drek Lead commenter

Yes I think unless the BBC hacked school data in contravention of gdpr rules, they are being fed information by interested parties.. fake or real who knows.....makes for a good soundbite.

And yes it definitely sounds like it is engineered to combat the ridiculous divide and rule pay increases of the the past 5 years or so, which they have just compounded.
    Are they trying to keep teachers? Because to say to an M1 teacher, you are going to be stuck on nearly the same pay for 5 years unless we think you can jump straight to M6 or TLR posts after 1 year of teaching.
    To do that you just have to do the following endless list of things.......
    Yep they are going to want to stay....

agathamorse likes this.
  10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

I am sorry, I really am but I am sick and tired of having the learning of the majority ruined by the few.

11. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Just seen a report on BBC presumably in a Pru. The cost of sending a child there is several times that of funding a main stream place yet still masses of hand wringing regarding needs not met. I think of all the lovely kids in main stream who have lesson after lesson ruined by kids who can't behave. I think of all the good role models forced to work with disruptive kids as part of a behaviour strategy in main stream . Yes, some kids' needs are not met but I have yet to hear Ed Thomas of the BBC address parental responsibility in his report. I do not deny that "complex needs" exist but so does bad parenting. Try being a supply teacher for a day Mr Thomas and see for yourself.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That report was appalling. However, from my very limited experience in EBD schools (supply) only having 6 teachers with 48 kids is just awful. Schools I have worked in have class size of 4 max and never less than 2 adults in the room with more on call outside.

13. bluesam3

bluesam3 New commenter

Just to note the context of the headline figure there: that's 225 pupils, from over a thousand schools. Does anybody else think that's a fairly impressively small number?

bevdex, bessiesmith, yodaami2 and 3 others like this.
  14. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

If only the headteachers were up for a grown up discussion of an issue.

They like to carry on the same old way. I have spoken to many of them.

Special school headteachers are the worst.

I wonder what @R13 does for a job?

Kevin

15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

This’ll help the recruitment problem!

agathamorse likes this.
  16. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

17. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

Seems like the BBC have found the only isolation rooms that are empty from the photos. Ours are always full!

agathamorse likes this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I was quite staggered by the one photo which must have shown 30 cubicles. My last school had 7!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I've worked in a challenging area for 20 years and never needed any of that nonsense.

And never been assaulted either.

20. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm...depends what you mean by 'challenging'. I guess there are various levels. It isn't too long ago that a head was stabbed to death at his school gates. And knife crime is on the rise in London. Exclusions are also on the rise - guess it depends on the setting :cool:

agathamorse likes this.