1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isolation room

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by user_1, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hi,
    This is strange incident. Both my children go to a private school and a mum at the school told me what happened the other day. When picking up her son one day, she arrived a few minutes early and waited in the hall when she noticed a persistent cry. The hall was empty, so after some time she went to find out where the cry was coming from. She found a colleague of her son (from early years!) in a room, alone, UNSUPERVISED, crying desperately, and he begged her to open the door. The child was really upset, she didn't know whether he was hurt so she opened the door. The child wasn't hurt but was very upset and continued to cry, and doesn't want to go back to school since then. SO: the school is using a room as an isolation room for children as young as early years, and leave them there unsupervised (my girls know nothing about it). It is very upsetting for us, parents. Apparently this happened 3 working days ago, and as of today the parents got no explanation or apology from the school regarding what happened. They are angry and reported it to the police. To be honest, the head of the prep school is the most arrogant person ever. The teachers are ok, but the head is just unbelievable, never says hello, never smiles etc. you know the type. Now I am seriously thinking about taking both my daughters out of the school, but I have no options! We are on a waiting list for another school, but it might take years to get in there. I might even put my kids into state school. How can I trust a school if they do such things? (I assume the child was misbehaving, but still that is not an excuse to leave him alone unsupervised given his age). I don't even think they are allowed to do that!

2. Hi,
    This is strange incident. Both my children go to a private school and a mum at the school told me what happened the other day. When picking up her son one day, she arrived a few minutes early and waited in the hall when she noticed a persistent cry. The hall was empty, so after some time she went to find out where the cry was coming from. She found a colleague of her son (from early years!) in a room, alone, UNSUPERVISED, crying desperately, and he begged her to open the door. The child was really upset, she didn't know whether he was hurt so she opened the door. The child wasn't hurt but was very upset and continued to cry, and doesn't want to go back to school since then. SO: the school is using a room as an isolation room for children as young as early years, and leave them there unsupervised (my girls know nothing about it). It is very upsetting for us, parents. Apparently this happened 3 working days ago, and as of today the parents got no explanation or apology from the school regarding what happened. They are angry and reported it to the police. To be honest, the head of the prep school is the most arrogant person ever. The teachers are ok, but the head is just unbelievable, never says hello, never smiles etc. you know the type. Now I am seriously thinking about taking both my daughters out of the school, but I have no options! We are on a waiting list for another school, but it might take years to get in there. I might even put my kids into state school. How can I trust a school if they do such things? (I assume the child was misbehaving, but still that is not an excuse to leave him alone unsupervised given his age). I don't even think they are allowed to do that!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Was the school using the room as isolation? OR was the child there of his own free will and had got stuck, the tears being because he knew he shouldn't be there?
    WOW! While I totally agree that an unsupervised isolation time (if this is what happened) is not appropriate, involving the police seems a bit OTT.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry but I smell a rat (or possibly a troll)

5. Gosh, bad enough to even consider a state school!
    Hoping this is as msz describes!

6. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Very strange! So strange, in fact, that I believe you have fabricated the whole thing.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Dingalingading

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think you should retract your statement about the school "using the room as an isolation room."

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Still not a reason to call the police!

It does happen pretty often. I was left on a bus as a child...and almost every adult I know socially has a story of being left somewhere by parents by mistake.

A child left behind in a safe, secure place within the school is not a police matter, nor a reason to remove your children from a school.

10. I might be the odd one out, but I don't know of anybody who was left behind or who left their child behind (except for David Cameron, but he is not in my circle of friends). Maybe it happens often, but the school should have reported it to the parents given that the child was so distressed and should have given an explanation to the parents given that they asked for one.
    I keep my comment on the isolation room (maybe change it to 'might be using') because we still don't know the truth (probably never will). We know what the school provided as an explanation. And we know that the child says he was locked there.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh for goodness sake, if you have that little faith in the school to tell you the truth, then definitely move your children!

And as this child is early years age, I doubt he knows the difference between 'locked in' and 'couldn't reach/manage the door handle'!

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Just to prove it can happen - this happened to me recently:
    A behaviour advisor was visiting my class to observe a particular child. She was watching him carefully but despite this he followed the other children in from playtime and managed to hide himself in a storage area of the cloakroom. The cloakroom has to be locked with a thumb lock because of another SEN child who is prone to escaping. The advisor came to me about five minutes in and asked where he was, I thought he had been with her so we started looking and found him locked in the cloakroom crying desperately. I felt terrible, particularly as it had happened with the advisor there, but another child said loudly "Well that's never happened before!" so I hope she heard! I certainly don't make a practice of shutting children in the cloakroom.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hope that child got a certificate in assembly that week!

14. Oooh it happens.
    I hid in the cloakroom myself at Nursery instead of joining the line to go to the TV room to watch playschool (looong time ago - I got a slap!).
    When I was an NQT we went to the farm and a senior teacher left a parent and group of four children behind. The coach had started and was driving towards the car park gate when she noticed.
    Last year an SEN child shut herself in the garden shed, we went inside, shut the garden door and thought "hang on, isn't it quiet?!"
    Recently we all lined up to go to the hall for movement, a little lad took himself off to the toilet (sensible!), didn't tell us and we just didn't notice. Off we went.
    Five examples and I'm just me!

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL sara you are sooo much braver than me admitting all that! But I'm so pleased to read it isn't just me and the poor teacher in the OP.

Fortunately all parents in any of my scenarios either never knew or were totally sensible about it. No complaints at all ever. Definitely not to the police!

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Another time our escape prone SEN child went missing. We couldn't figure out how she had got out of the classroom (thumblocks on the doors) but thought she might have slipped past someone. We sent TAs out searching the whole school but the work experience lad found her in the stock cupboard tucking into a carrier bag of Easter eggs we were saving for the end of term.

17. It's all coming out now, we're misplacing children left right and centre! But as someone (I forget who, sorry!) said, they're in an Early Years unit so really can't come to any harm.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

None of this explains the OP's daft thread title, which makes you wonder about their motives and/or state of mind when posting!

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I assume that before bothering to find out what had actually happened, they assumed this child had been locked in the room as a punishment. Now, much as I think the OP and the parents of this child have totally overreacted, if I genuinely thought it was possible that my child would be left in a locked room as a punishment I would remove them from the school. However it would never cross my mind that any school would do so.
    Not sure you need the 'when posting' part at the end!

20. Ha Ha! It just confirms how little respect some people have for us and our profession - they instantly assume the worst. And the 'state school' comment - utterly ridiculous.