1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isolated governor - needs advice on correct proceedure

Discussion in 'Governors' started by worcsgov, Sep 1, 2012.

1. I am been a governor for a few years but only for one year as a LA governor at this primary school. I'm feeling very isolated and marginalised by the current Chair and Vice Chair. I found out this week that the Head Teacher has been going though informal capability and that at some point the Chair made a financial offer to the Head to resign. The Head Teacher turned down the offer. I've always thought that major issues like this would have been discussed and voted upon at a meeting of the full governors. I would raise my concerns with other governors but all my attempts to get their contact details have been ignored or refused. I don't know what I should do next as the next meeting of the governors isn't until after the October half term.

2. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Chairs are no greater a governor than any other governor. Every governor is equal. However, chairs do have the power to make urgent decisions on behalf of the gb. The example you cite would not in my view be an urgent decision that the chair would need to take. Not allowing you the contact details of all your fellow governors is also bizarre. It is right and proper though that the majority of gb business is transacted at meetings. Ask your clerk to provide you with the contact details, but do not attempt to conduct business in tandem with your chair. Why not try to persuade your chair to have the matter discussed by your resources committee to take a look at it at a specially convened meeting?

3. I'm afraid that what you are experiencing is becoming all too common. It seems to be getting harder and harder to recruit governors and this means that there are many more inexperienced or unsuitable Chair of Governors around.