1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isn't this Pope great?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 26, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pope-francis-washes-refugees-feet_us_56f4611fe4b014d3fe22b8bd

Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of 12 refugees Thursday at a migrant center in Castelnuovo di Porto outside of Rome, Italy. The ceremony took place as part of the observances of Maundy Thursday, the Holy Thursday before Easter that dates back to the story of Jesus’ Last Supper.

In a powerful gesture of interfaith embrace, the pontiff knelt down before a group of eight men and four women, among whom were Muslims, Coptic Christians and one Hindu

[​IMG]

InkyP likes this.
  2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Well I think so, though not particularly because Pope Francis washed the feet of some refugees. It's the sort of personal care which countless numbers of people carry out unnoticed and uncelebrated on a daily basis.

The ceremony of washing the feet which took place at The Last Supper was part of the establishment of the Mass. By including oppressed people from different faiths in the ceremony, Pope Francis was showing that the Mass is for everyone.

lexus300 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Better than some of the last few...

Not particularly difficult though...

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yeah, it all seems great - the humility of the pope and all that - but who goes home with the gold washing up bowl? I reckon I could wash a few feet for that sort of wealth.

5. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

My Mum's daily care helper, for what was probably minimum wage, washed her feet every two days. Just saying.

cuteinpuce likes this.
  6. inky

inky Lead commenter

To be fair, this Pope has shown genuine contempt for and impatience with the trappings of wealth and privilege associated with his office.

lexus300, Dragonlady30, InkyP and 4 others like this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Especially catholics who have divorced and remarried ................... :oops:

8. cuteinpuce

Lots of whom will be our packed out churches this morning. Happy Easter, florian! :)

9. florian gassmann

And will these divorced and remarried catholics be taking communion in your church, cutie?

10. cuteinpuce

Some will, some won't, florian, just like the rest of us. But all of us there will be joining in the glorious Easter Sunday Mass. Christus resurrexit! :)

(There may even be Cadbury's creme eggs handed out at the end; a tradition started by St Drogo, patron saint of chocolate, back in the 12th century, I believe.)

Noja and Dragonlady30 like this.
  11. florian gassmann

I see. It's not as if communion is an important part of the mass, is it?

I hope you enjoy the dressing up, the candles and the smells. Not to mention the Cadbury's creme eggs.

12. cuteinpuce

...not to mention the bells. Thank you, florian. I hope you have a good day too.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Did he give that bowl away to one f the refugees to take home? Did he sell it to fund food and shelter for refugees?

14. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

I'd take the Prince of Morroco's advice on the bowl, unless you know something we don't!

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

He could sell the gold.
    But the water, in our times, is going to be the more precious resource.
    In fact, gold is pretty useless.
    Quite good for holding dirty foot water though.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Doesn't he have to? Isn't it part of the job spec.?

Like wiping dirty bums when you're working in EY???

He's not going to get much much kudos for washing the feet of a few prelates.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'd check your dates on that, cutiepie. Chocolate didn't arrive in Europe before the Americas had been discovered.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think I'd take umbrage if some pope told me my feet needed washing. Who the hell does he think he is?

19. cuteinpuce

Hmm, I wonder when jokes arrived in Europe...

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think cute gotcha there.

Dragonlady30 likes this.