1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isn't this just pathetic....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It sounded like mass hysteria to me.

aspensquiver and InkyP like this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Why is it pathetic? It is unfortunate but probably down to mass panic. I don't suppose the children chose to faint and bang their heads or vomit or feel dizzy. It happens.

cuteinpuce and sabrinakat like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Turns out it was during a Remembrance assembly.

I remember when I was about 14 being at school assembly just before easter. As we all stood there in full school uniform (in the days of shirt, tie, jumper and blazer) the head droned on and on with a very graphic description of crucifixion, the suffering involved, how it would be inability to breathe that eventually killed you. Several people fainted and had to be carried out.

I wonder if there were any graphic descriptions of suffering in the trenches that contributed to this little incident.

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Spotted Dick a bit too spotty.

lexus300 likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hardly newsworthy and embarrassing for the school. This is what happens when a ' story ' breaks .... complete overreaction. Children being ill at school ......well I never !

lexus300 likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not sure which bit is supposed to be ''pathetic''?

aspensquiver likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I fear it's just the innate tendency of teens to be sheep. Which is so funny because they all think they're such INDIVIDUALS.

Definitely mass hysteria.

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And there was me wondering if it was a case of CO poisoning... although that said, some of them may have seen an opportunity to have the rest of the day off!

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I heard about this a few times on the radio yesterday. While I have sympathy for anyone feeling ill, I don't understand why it was deemed newsworthy at all.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yet another non story!

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We need to crush a few people under rocks to get at the truth.

13. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

The point is surely that it is interesting when this sort of chain reaction happens. I don't think the kids faked it fwiw.

14. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

The point I was trying to make is this: it was a remembrance day assembly. Just a hundred years ago, men (and indeed some teenagers, who lied to join up in the great war), went through hell on earth. Yet these molly-goddled twits couldn't manage a bit of heat, whilst thinking about the lives lost.

"Mass panic....", "It happens....." - NO IT DOESN'T, it is modern teenagers just taking the pi$$. I'm glad it was reported & the school deserves to be shamed for it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I do tend to agree @Mr_Ed

You can make yourself sick by an act of will. I do rather think they were faking it.

16. spartacus123

spartacus123 Occasional commenter

That school and its neighbour are interesting and an example of the 11+ divide. Pass the 11+ and go to the school over the road. You go to a highly selective top performing grammar school. Don't take it and you are in Outwood academy. 2 very different educations separated by a road.