1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isn't this a scandalous waste of public money? £90m...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Mar 12, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I checked - it isn't April 1st today!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inancial-scandal-blight-children-s-lives.html

"Parklands High School in deprived suburb of Speke, Liverpool, lies empty
    It was shut down in 2014 following poor Ofsted inspection in 2013
    But taxpayers are still its paying construction bills - and will until 2028
    By that time it will have cost around £90m, despite costing £22m to build
    Why? Because Parklands was built under Private Finance Initiative scheme"

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Ask Gove. It isn't the only one. How much of the education budget goes on these payments to PFI mafia?

delnon, wanet and sabrinakat like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hmmm... so the headteacher made a speech criticising Gove in 2011... and Ofsted slated the school in 2013, leading to closure in 2014.

If I was conspiratorially minded...

schoolsout4summer and delnon like this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that Parkands was always struggling. Something like 12% of students achieving 5 A-C Grades a long time ago......but yes a scandalous state of affairs.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If it's a Zombie School maybe they could fill it with some of the Zombies they expect teachers to get results out of in mainstream schooling. Might make life easier for everyone.

6. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

If the rent on Sanctuary Buildings is still £25 million a year, a cost-effective solution would be to relocate the D of E to Parklands.
    Who knows, a few feet might even touch the ground there. :D

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There's a school building in Belfast that had the same problem but is now in use.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Have you ever seen the area called Speke?.....its not a place that the bright and clever run to for education. It would always struggle with huge economic problem families and almost sink estates.Its not surprising the children do not achieve this mythological level of attainment which supposedly marks a school out as wonderful to Ofsted.They will attain....but not in the way the government wishes.
    That it lies empty might indicate there is over capacity in the area...and folks are not rushing to put their name down to join..or it might be that the goverment finds it easier to pay the bill rather than bring it to the attention of folks as a failed policy of both construction and of education direction.

9. xena-warrior2

xena-warrior2 New commenter

Why on earth nobody seems to grasp that results are poor because of socio-economic factors, and a change of management structure/funding/name will make no difference to that basic fact, is a continuing mystery to me.
    Even in my top-of-the-table high school in a posh part of town, the kids not getting 10 A*s are almost all the ones from the dump estate that borders the catchment area.

lanokia and schoolsout4summer like this.
  10. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

What was achieved by closing it? Surely the students can still be happy and learning something rather than condemning the school?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ofsted was seen to have taken action.
    The Government was seen to have taken action.

It's the same formula that ends teachers careers in Capability... the Headteachers are seen to have taken action...

It matters not a jot that the action was pointless, venal and self-serving.

delnon likes this.