1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isn't nature fascinating!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Apr 14, 2011.

1. http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/sensational-butterflies/index.html
    http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/blogs/whats-new/2011/04/07/sensational-butterflies-are-in-the-house-and-on-some-noses
    There is a new exhibition of butterflies at the Natural History Museum.until September.
    Luke Brown is keeping it stocked with chysallises all summer as they only fly a few weeks and creating the right conditions so the sandy puddles are packed with minerals which male butterflies suck up and present to their females.
    "Here you are here' s some mud. "
    I find all insects life's fascinating. There is one species that drink the tears of caimen (crocodiles).
    He can create butterfly houses in peoples gardens - beautiful for a wedding ?
    [​IMG] gert big 'un otherwise known as blue morpho. I love the way they gently flap unike british species that go so fast you only catch a quick glimpse

2. I must go out and check mine!
    Personally I find Nature cruel and unpleasant. My life has been a constant battle against it.

3. I'm sure I could cure you of it Tonic. Moths are docile during the day and you could hold one and be fascinated by all their brilliant colours. The last photo is not an english moth btw.
    But the hawk moths can be big. The large blue butterfly had been introducd back into the country but its hardly very big. It has a fascinating life story but I aint got time to tell it now ..got to go to the post office !

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Hmm. I think this is as far as my bravery goes - opening this thread. I saw the top of the picture in the post above yours and scrolled down quickly so I didn't have to look. They make me physically sick. Coming from the time when I had one stuffed in my mouth in junior school in sports day, and I could feel it flapping around.[​IMG] Uugghh, vile. Since then, nausea is the first reaction. Thankfully it has led to only one interesting lesson, (!), but many many sleepless nights, stuck in fear in the corner of my room wondering if it will fly if I move.
    I understand people think they are pretty, the colours are nice, but the flapping?? [​IMG]
    Anyway, at least I know that the butterflies aren't getting bigger, I think I would have to relocate somewhere cold!It was worth the opening of the thread! :)

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Atlas moth, the largest in the world. I bought a pupa of one of those from a butterfly farm when I was about 17, it flapped around my bedroom for a couple of days on emerging before pegging it.
    I saw a male orange tip this morning too flying across the garden.
    I've always loved Lepidopterans [​IMG]

6. I think moths are under-rated.
    My favorites are this:
    [​IMG] elephant hawk moth

And this:
    [​IMG] swallowtail

Beautiful.

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Nature smells funny

8. What sort of nature ? I haven't sniffed butterflies,skippers or moths? I bet dragonflies smell though. They eat anything passing.

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

All of nature smells funny - every spiky, crawly, pus-filled aspect of it

10. I must admit, I draw the line at cockroaches, having seen them the size of saucers on my travels!

11. I don't think there are enough of insects to make them smell though.
    Wouldn't it be amazing to lay 32000 eggs in a day and for them all to hatch and turn into caterpillars and then grow up. What a lot of babies you would have !

(Dont say anything to Dominant tonic)
    Alas virtually all butterfly and moth numbers are down with some varieties dying out altogether in Britain.
    [​IMG]one of my favourites - garden tiger

12. Very worrying in my little patch. I'm sure that some neighbour has been a bit over-the-top with the insecticide. Fewer moths, butterflies, and birds recently. but frogs seem to be doing well!
    Get a lot of these here:
    [​IMG] which are really pretty when they spread their wings!
    And I like:
    [​IMG]
    Even better when hatched:
    [​IMG]
    Apologies to Dom Tom And DoomZ!

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Anyone know what these larvae are?
    [​IMG]
    Spotted on the Pembrokeshire Coast path in early June last year. No-one from the National Park's office could properly identify them. There were thousands of the little b*ggers making huge webs in the clifftop gorse.

14. [​IMG]
    Is it these? Ermine moth?
    [​IMG] or the buff moth which is buff coloured funnily enough

15. I ve seen hedges and trees covered with their silk and also hanging from trees. Many moths and butterflies can spin silk but this is to protect them from birds.
    Coalwoman . The photos are yellow underwing. there are often large numbers about and all slightly different size and colour. Some have orange underwings.
    The others are cinnabar caterpillar and moth. A day flying moth. oops don't tell Dom Ton there are day flying moths!

16. Thanks for that! Lovely name, cinnabar!

17. Saw lots of ladybirds today. Which is good as the other day I found a harlequin ladybird and was shocked to read how devasting they are to our natives. The daleks of the insect world.

18. Harlequin ladybirds

[​IMG]

Beasts. Squash on sight
    And these too.....[​IMG]
    Lily beetles. I am inspecting my lilies daily now as I am expecting the warmer weather to bring them out in droves.

19. Oh for goodness' sake... last try

[​IMG]