1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isn't Marianne Faithfull a trooper!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, May 29, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

I listened this morning to Marianne reading from 'The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner' on the Today programme. I thought: "My God, this woman has survived just about everything - and now Covid-19."

Well done Marianne!

[​IMG]

Kandahar, Dodros and coffeekid like this.
  2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

If she could survive Mick Jagger and Mars bars, Covid did not stand a chance!

smoothnewt, nomad and magic surf bus like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I will forever associate her husky cover of It's all over now Baby Blue with Thatcher snuffing it.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

That wig looks like its survived longer than she has.

6. Jolly_Roger15

Ironic that one of the 'enfants terrible' of the Sixties should end up looking like June Whitfield!

emerald52 and magic surf bus like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

And that is bad why?

coffeekid and WB like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"The vagabond who's rapping at your door
    is standing in the clothes that you once wore" :)

[​IMG]

9. Jolly_Roger15

Marianne Faithfull in ‘Girl on a Motorcycle’ brings back memories! In the Spring Term, games afternoon at my school meant cross-country running, which was not to my taste. I much preferred sloping off to matinee performances of soft po.rn films, at the Adelphi cinema, in Slough. The old Adelphi was a lovely, Art Deco ‘picture palace’, which had seen better days. To bolster its declining fortunes, it started showing ‘art films’ in the afternoon, for the ‘dirty raincoat’ fraternity. (I wore mine over my school blazer). Admission was open to anyone who could come up with 3/6d; no questions asked. Once, in my naivety, I went to see ‘Scorpio Rising’; only after half an hour of watching muscly young men taking too long to out on their leather trousers did the penny drop.

Alas, the old Adelphi became a bingo hall, in 1973.

10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

She sounded very posh. Certainly had an eventful life.

11. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

"... a trooper," you say?

Strewth.

The English language certainly remains second to none when it comes to novelty of euphemism.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

She was more of an enfant terrible than white-bread middle-class Mick Jagger ever was. I love Marianne, but wouldn't have wanted her life-style. Too chaotic, too many drugs.

bombaysapphire and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  13. Lidnod

Lidnod Lead commenter

The title of this thread came up for me as: Isn’t Marianne Faithfull a.......
    So I had to look. It reminds me of a close exercise or possibly Blankety Blank. I am relieved to find the missing word is trooper.

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I've posted both of these previously on @Jude Fawley 's Music thread. Always worth a listen though: