1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Isle of Wight

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blondehecate, May 7, 2012.

1. My boyfriend and I are considering where to go over the summer hols, we both fancy Isle of Wight as it's not somewhere either of us have been before.
    Has anyone got any tips/travel advice/websites etc before I start the infamous Internet searching!!
    Obviously looking for something not too expensive!
    Many thanks in advance.

2. My boyfriend and I are considering where to go over the summer hols, we both fancy Isle of Wight as it's not somewhere either of us have been before.
    Has anyone got any tips/travel advice/websites etc before I start the infamous Internet searching!!
    Obviously looking for something not too expensive!
    Many thanks in advance.

3. We went there for a day out a couple of years ago - and that was plenty. The New Forest, on the other hand has plenty of sites to last a week, and you can get to the IoW for a day out from there quite easily. Hollands Wood is a particularly nice campsite in the New Forest which is a very cheap way of doing it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have been going to the Island since I was a child and absolutely love it.

5. Snap. :D

6. I looked into going to IoW a few years ago. It looked lovely but I thought the ferry was very expensive. Is that still the case?

7. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Ferry is really expensive for small distance covered but lovely there - beaches nice if you get some decent weather, some good places to eat, small enough that you can get around and see everything. My friends there have a guest house between Shanklin and Sandown, have been about 3 times now.

8. We're regular visitors to the IoW although the price of the ferry stops us going as often as we'd like.
    All of the places mentioned so far are lovely. Blackgang Chine is quite fun, especially if you disosaurs. I'd recommend a visit to Osborne House. Lovely botanical gardens near Ventnor and there's also a Roman Villa near there, covered in so good for when it's raining, that kills a couple of hours.
    Good places to eat used to be scarce but it's got better in the past few years.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have found lots of well preserved fossilised sea urchins on the beach at Whitecliff Bay and there is a nice museum in Sandown where they will identify beach finds for you.
    I like Osborne too. You can take a ride in a horse drawn carriage to Swiss Cottage where Prince Albert had all his children learn how to grow vegetables and cook.
    Once we rented the Mill House by the ferry to Lymington and 22 of the family went for Christmas. It was wonderful.
    I have got jars and jars full of coloured glass scavenged from the skip outside the Isle of Wight Glass factory at Ventnor.
    What lovely memories I have of
    going to the island as a child and of taking my own children there.year after year.

10. Depends how old you are, I went with a friend in my 20's and we quickly were bored. However, for a family holiday i think it would be ideal. For a couple I would try and push the boat out and go a bit further to Jersey/ Guernsey.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The most memorable family Christmas we had was spent in an Isle of Wight hotel. My father treated us all, albeit we were all adults and married by then, some with kids.
    The hotel was relatively small and intimate, probably around 20 rooms, but by Christ, how the owners worked hard to make it a brilliant Christmas for all their guests. There was a small band playing every day, the food was good etc. but the real trick they had was in arranging something special to keep us entertained during the days as well as the evenings.
    For example, they organised a treasure hunt around the island on boxing day and made sure that anyone who wanted to be part of it but didn't have a car found a spare seat in another guest's car.
    And the next day, we were told there was to be an impromtu fancy dress ball, so we had the day to work out what we would go as and how we could fabricate a costume from limited resources and if the hotel could help in any way with the things we'd need, they'd do their best.
    My wife of the time and I actually won the competition for best outfits. She went as Little Red Riding Hood, wearing a fetching red bedspread we'd fashioned into a cape and hood and some lipstick, carefully smeared on her cheeks like a poor-girl's rouge. I used the entire contents of her green eye shadow on my face and hands, made a garment from a collection of paper hats, attached two drinking straws to the back of my head and went as a Martian.
    All very silly, but everyone had a great time and we won the bottle of wine.
    On reflection, we were probably very lucky to have stayed in that particular hotel, and it was by pure chance we did. On the other hand, we took advantage of the entertainment they were providing and had a good time, though a few didn't want to get involved in any of it and went home miserable.

12. I went every summer holiday as a child and I distinctly remember it never ever rained. As an adult I worked there for some years and always at the back of my head was that kid still on holiday. The island is lovely, especially in May/June. In full summer it can get a little crowded but better if you are in West Wight. If you like walking and going to the pub it's excellent. I believe SAGA stopped it as one of their destinations as being too boring, but that may be a myth.
    The island is special because of that strip of expensive water, keeps out those New Forest riff-raff.