1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Islam themed movies

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by sharkey21, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sharkey21

sharkey21 New commenter

Hi all
    Does anyone know of any entertaining movies that would encapsulate Islamic themes? I'm thinking for KS3 and years 7 & 8 in particular.

thanks in advance

sharkey

2. sharkey21

sharkey21 New commenter

Hi all
    Does anyone know of any entertaining movies that would encapsulate Islamic themes? I'm thinking for KS3 and years 7 & 8 in particular.

thanks in advance

sharkey

3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Offside! - excellent, gritty movie about girls trying to sneak into an Iranian World Cup qualifying match. Bear in mind that it is a Shia Muslim society being placed under the microscope, though.
    Osama - this one is about a girl having to disguise herself as a boy to survive under Taliban rule in Afghanistan.
    Offside! is PG, Osama is a 12.

4. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I've not seen these. It seems you can download Offside free

https://www.firstload.net/index.php?ir=1&fn=offside+film+download

but my laptop is a bit full. I am afraid it might jam up if I try this tonight. I'll try it at my College tomorrow - on their computer. It sounds really interesting.

5. durgamata

There is a very moving TV programme called women, weddings war and me - which follows an Afghan girl brought up in the UK who goes to Afghanistan for a visit. Not suitable for KS3 but good for older students.

e - and amazingly it is due to be shown again tomorrow. DO RECORD IT AND SHOW IT EVERY YEAR. I think I would keep it for year 11 as it is deeply moving and quite disturbing.
    In one part, the girl visits a hospital and sees teenage girls who have tried to kill themselves by setting themselves on fire - when utterly helpless and depressed due to arranged marriages which have not worked out well.

In another part she visits a women's prison where the only crime has been to refuse to go along with an arranged marriage.

It is not a film about Islam as Islam teaches respect for women, fairness and justice - but it is a good film for looking at women's rights - and why people may leave their homeland and become refugees or assylum seekers.

this is what it says about it on the BBC website

Twenty-one-year-old Nel has lived in Britain since she was six, after her family fled war and violence in Afghanistan. Despite respecting her parents' decision to leave, Nel has always felt a strong connection with the country and longs to know what her life would have been like if she'd stayed and grown up there.
    This documentary tells the intimate story of a young woman returning to Afghanistan. In Kabul, she sees the modern face of the country through her cousin, one of only a handful of female lecturers at Kabul University. But even her cousin accepts that her marriage will be arranged.
    Outside the capital, behind the closed doors of hospital wards and prisons, Nel soon discovers a world of extreme violence against women and gains a new understanding of why her family decided to leave.

6. durgamata

<h1>BBC One London Schedule for Skip to:
    <ol><li class="first-child">Early[*]Morning[*]Afternoon[*]Evening[*]Late</ol>View:List at a glanceList in detail<ol id="broadcasts" class="periods"><li id="earlymorning" class="period"><h2>Early</h2><ol class="broadcasts"><li id="t2011-06-07T23:05:00Z" class="clearfix">Weatherview
    08/06/2011
    Children's Craniofacial Surgery
    Rogue Gene
    DIY SOS
    The Big Build - Stoke
    Great British Railway Journeys
    Series 2, Hythe to Hastings
    Joins BBC News
    08/06/2011

7. The Kite Runner is an excellent film.