1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Islam, Jacob and Noah

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, May 4, 2012.

1. I'm not trying to start a thread that should go on 'opinion' - i'm just after a bit of practical advice.
    I would like my 'puzzle of the week' next week to be (a) how many of each kind of animal went onto the ark' and (b) how many children did jacob have? - but do these questions work as trick questions is the same way if you are a Muslim?

2. I'm not trying to start a thread that should go on 'opinion' - i'm just after a bit of practical advice.
    I would like my 'puzzle of the week' next week to be (a) how many of each kind of animal went onto the ark' and (b) how many children did jacob have? - but do these questions work as trick questions is the same way if you are a Muslim?

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Not sure how they are trick questions?
    Both Noah and Jacob (Peace be upon them) are prophets in Islam too, Noah (Peace be upon him) taking a pair of each of the animals into the ark; and Jacob (Peace be upon him)having twelve sons.
    I think of the faith thing as:
    Jews accepting Old Testament,
    Christians accepting Old Testament + Jesus (Peace be upon him) and
    Muslims accepting Old Testament + Jesus (Peace be upon him) + Muhammad (Peace be upon him).
    Bit like updated versions of an encyclopedia.[​IMG]

There are some differences of course. Some are minor - just as different books in the New Testament differ on detals - and some are major, for example Muslims don't believe that Jesus (Peace be upon him) was killed, instead he was taken back by God before his death.

4. a)2
    b)13

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

6. 12 sons+daughter, Dinah. Is that the trick?

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Well, you learn something every day!
    I don't know if Dinah is mentioned in the Quran or not. Am going to look it up now...

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Ah, yes, there she is!

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I have only one.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Presumably they would have refrained from eating any of their cargo?

11. Nooo, they DID eat some. Read my link. The clean animals were grouped in sevens, the unclean animals in twos. I blame those rubbishy nursery rhymes.
    cyolba, always learning, alwasy teaching :)

12. Genesis 6:19, more like.

13. So, does Genesis 7 superseed Genesis 6, or is the former the correct version? Or, like most guff in the sacred texts of the worls, is it all a load of old hoohah dressed up to get some clever sparks out of the hunting/gathering thing?
    cyolba, off home now, byyyyyeeeeeee :)

14. 576

576 Established commenter

Ark : 7 animals if clean, 2 if unclean - see Genesis 7v2-4
    Yes, they were vegetarians (see Genesis 9v3 emphasis on 'now')
    Jacob: As pointed out - 12 sons and 1 daughter.
    If you're concerned about the Qur'an's version varying simply phrase the questions
    'According to the Bible...' or 'According to the book of Genesis....' [​IMG]

15. i thought the clean animals were to sacrifice
    thanks giraffe for the info

16. ok - what happened to the rest of that post?
    it's not i need the question to be crisp, 576, but i want to get the Muslim children (1/3 of our school) involved in trying to answer it
    so as well as dinah - giraffe, does the 7 clean animals also come into Islamic scripture?

17. Dinah's story is very interesting- check if it you don't know it.

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Jacob had 12 sons...and he had 'daughters' - plural, only one is named. So he may well have had 14+ children.

19. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

The short answer is Noah didnt take in 2 of each kind
    Genesis 7:2–3:
    ‘Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.’

This describes the herd as seven pairs (fourteen) of each clean animal (i.e. animals used for temple offerings and food), one pair of each unclean animal and bird and seven pairs of clean birds. Deuteronomy 14:4-5 lists 10 species of clean animals, which implies 140 clean animals in Noah's barge.