1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ISA/HSW

Discussion in 'Science' started by thedan22, Apr 13, 2012.

1. thedan22

thedan22 New commenter

Hi,
    My top set year 9's are moving onto HSW and ISA practicals for the next 4 weeks after Easter. Im a PGCE student from Ireland and dont have a clue how to plan lessons for this. Ive basically been told ' Come up with an investigation title' give it to students, they must do research into how they could plan the investigation'. After this, I give the students a generic methods to which go about carrying it out.

Dont know how to tackle it.

Help pllz

2. Are your Y9 doing 'practice' ISA's / controlled assessments or the real thing?
    Let us know the syllabus you are using, you will get better advice from us.

3. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

Must be practice. ISAs have to be done in the last year of the GCSE from now on, don't they?

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There are no ISAs at GCSE anymore. It's all controlled assessments and they can be done at any time.

5. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

Do as Belle suggests and have a look at the sample material on the exam websites. My advice would be how the number of sheets of news paper affect the rate of cooling - relate that to the thickness of the jacket around a hot water tank. Or rate of reaction for different concentrations of acid and marble chips and relate it to acid rain. They are quite hard using multiple graphs to compare rates.