1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is your school not allowed to do school trips in the summer term this year?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by duck_star, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Here's and odd one.

I'm in a London school and we have been told that we are not allowed any school trips in Summer term because of the Olympics. I'm curious if anyone else out their has heard similar things?

They have said that roads will be closed and that coaches will be hard to book. And while maybe right at the end of term it might be a bit busier for companies, the Olymics doesn't start till after we Finish for the summer. Is this just crazy people over reacting?

Our summer trip to the tower of london is to the tower of London and last time I checked it is nowhere near Stratford.

Confused.

duckstar

2. Here's and odd one.

I'm in a London school and we have been told that we are not allowed any school trips in Summer term because of the Olympics. I'm curious if anyone else out their has heard similar things?

They have said that roads will be closed and that coaches will be hard to book. And while maybe right at the end of term it might be a bit busier for companies, the Olymics doesn't start till after we Finish for the summer. Is this just crazy people over reacting?

Our summer trip to the tower of london is to the tower of London and last time I checked it is nowhere near Stratford.

Confused.

duckstar

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Seems weird. Who has told you this? Is is the school managment or the LEA?

Who pays for the trips? Surely if you can book the buses and tickets etc at an affordable price then why can't the kids go? Or is it the case that the bus companies and tourist attractions are cashing in on the Olympics by putting in rip off prices?

4. v12

v12

As a general rule, our big school trips (skiing, Ardèche, CCF camp, Africa and so forth) all run in the school holidays anyway.
    But nothing has been said about 2012 being different from previous years and, as far as I know, three substantial expeditions start on 6th July as soon as we break up for the long Summer hols.