1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is your school closed on 30th June?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jellybellysmum, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Our school originally talked about closing but now just the teachers who are on strike classes will be off. We were named on a letter but 2 other teachers who are on strike but their class going on a trip were not mentioned - a bit naughty!!! I just wondered how many schools are supporting the strike by closing?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Ours is closed only one member of staff is in the NASUWT and it's her PPA day.

3. After initislly saying we would part-open, we will now be totally closed. My daughter's school is also closing.

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Mine is closed, but I am on a school trip (residential), so won't be able to strike.

5. Mine is closed to kids but teachers not stroking have to go in.

6. Lol!! Striking not stroking! That'd be a nice way to make a point ;-)

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No! Ours is fully open and I'm cross. I wanted a nice day off to do all kinds of things, but hardly any of our staff are NUT/ATL and so the two strikers will hardly even be noticed.

8. tigeresslady

tigeresslady New commenter

Ours is open to just 3 classes of which 2 I cover for PPA on that day! I'm not striking

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I think naming strikers on a letter is a bit below the belt, personally. Let HTs tyres down.

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

We will be closed to pupils, as majority of teachers are NUT. A few of us will be in, though, and non-teaching staff.

11. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'd hoped that the whole school would be closed as most teachers are NUT/ATL, and virtually all of these are striking. But the school will be open for the handful of classes with teachers who are in a different union - those children are feeling pretty fed up and hard done by, when they have to come in, and their friends are having a day off.

12. And the parents of those who can't go in, are fed up because they have to find childcare! Tough I say (to the whinging kids that is, not the parents, as I know how hard it is to find emergency childcare) Out of 14 classes there are 5 of us in nasuwt so not striking; I'm glad they've closed the whole school as iteans I get some precious time to do lots of sorting and tidying.

13. If you are not striking you'd hardly just get a nice day off! Why should you?

14. Fully open. Our only NUT teacher only works on Mondays.

15. Fully closed. Few teaching staff not in striking unions but they will be in along with non-teaching staff - they have a list of things they have to do. No naming and shaming.

16. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Fully closed, although some are away on residential. All teachers in our school are NUT or ATL. Not all agreed with striking, but we agreed that we would vote and whatever the majority decision was, we would either all be in or all be out. Our Head sent a letter to parents last week informing them of the closure and stated that he fully supported our decision - not a single parent has complained about this to us.

17. Indeed.
    So some teachers want a nice day off whilst others go on strike to stand up for your pension rights. I am glad schools are staying open where possible for classes where the teacher is not on strike. It is only fair. I cant believe that Minnieminx can be so short sighted as to see it as an opportunity to have a nice day off to catch up with jobs.

At my school only 2 of us are striking as we are only ones in union so we our classes have been named in the letter to parents. However, the staff in other unions have said they would go on strike if their union ballots them in the autumn term.

18. I don't understand why schools are closing in full if some teachers are available to teach. Any teacher not striking should be in class with their pupils. It is not fair on colleagues who are striking and losing a day's pay if colleagues who are in school are not teaching. Given that all support staff would be in anyway, those teachers would have a tremendous amount of support for a day in the classroom.

19. We are closed, those teachers who are not on strike all said they would not take on any more responsibility/duty (as their unions had said) so we had to shut. The non-striking staff and TA's etc are in school doing jobs etc so they will still be paid.

20. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

School closed to pupils, non NUT/ATL teachers and all TA's in for day. My daughters school alao closed - so no peaceful (unpaid!) day off for me. Is it wrong to be slightly envious of those going in to have a full day with no children to get lots of those end of year tasks done!?!