1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is your performance at teacher training college/university at indicator as to what sort of teacher you will be/become?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jun 19, 2011.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I admit it...10 years on it still makes me laugh at the so called amazing teachers (normally girls) who had amazing practises, amazing coursework results, seminar presentations and essay marks arent actually in the profession anymore.
    I was a terrible student...I fully admit it..my practises were lame, I failed one, my essay marks cr.ap (normally about 45%) and my unsurpringly not many were queuing upto do presentations with me.
    10 years on, Ive taught every age range in the Primary Phase, co ordinated 7 subjects, been a mentor at every stage from 1st year student to NQT to return to teaching,been a KS Leader and a successful supply teacher who worked every day for a whole term-and who next year will be UPS 3 in my third school
    Out of 20 trainees from uni who I still know of 3 are still in the profession-I personally think anyone can turn anything professionally around with a decent attitude and a bit of perseverence

2. The Red Heron

I admit it...10 years on it still makes me laugh at the so called amazing teachers (normally girls) who had amazing practises, amazing coursework results, seminar presentations and essay marks arent actually in the profession anymore.
    I was a terrible student...I fully admit it..my practises were lame, I failed one, my essay marks cr.ap (normally about 45%) and my unsurpringly not many were queuing upto do presentations with me.
    10 years on, Ive taught every age range in the Primary Phase, co ordinated 7 subjects, been a mentor at every stage from 1st year student to NQT to return to teaching,been a KS Leader and a successful supply teacher who worked every day for a whole term-and who next year will be UPS 3 in my third school
    Out of 20 trainees from uni who I still know of 3 are still in the profession-I personally think anyone can turn anything professionally around with a decent attitude and a bit of perseverence

3. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

You sound like you've got a chip on your shoulder.

4. The Red Heron

Not at all...I find it incredibly funny how life turns out in the end. Their 80% essay marks on history teaching in the 1960s didnt really count for much in the end did it?

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Pot, meet kettle.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Red Heron.
    I think the ability to admit you make mistakes, learn from them & move on<u> are</u> marks of being a good teacher. So many pupils need to realise this & you totally understand where they're coming from.
    It's like First Class Hons. people who are very good academically but can't actually put across their knowledge to others. And before people jump down my throat I'm not saying all First Class Hons people are like, but unfortunately some are.

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I too have career progression as The Red Heron. You can add acting deputy head and acting head to the list as well. And guess what? I have a first class honours!!
    Makes no difference at all what degree or kind of teaching practise you have, depends on whether you actually like the hard work of teaching.

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I agree with The Red Heron. I struggled with my PGCE, not through lack of trying, but just not seeming to do well no matter how hard I tried. In my NQT year, though, I managed to survive with a notoriously difficult class and achieved one of only two Outstanding grades in my school from Ofsted in my second term! Now only in my second year, I am PE co-ordinator, run 3 clubs and will be moving up to Year 6 next year. Admittedly, I haven't got years of success under my belt yet, but I've made a good start! And that's all with my 2:2 in a non-curriculum subject and a nearly-failed final PGCE placement!

9. The Red Heron

Agree with all of the above-teacher training should be viewed as learning to drive. You only really start to learn after youve passed