1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Younger Better?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sammallerston, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm a second year Primary Ed student preparing for a presentation on Modern Foreign Languages. 'Inspired' by Michael Gove's speech on taking MFL below KS2 my groups chosen topic is: Is Younger Better?
    Can anyone give some words of wisdom that we can use in our presentation?
    In anticipation.
    x

2. Hi
    I'm a second year Primary Ed student preparing for a presentation on Modern Foreign Languages. 'Inspired' by Michael Gove's speech on taking MFL below KS2 my groups chosen topic is: Is Younger Better?
    Can anyone give some words of wisdom that we can use in our presentation?
    In anticipation.
    x

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

It might be worth doing some research on the Scandinavian education system - English language is part of their education system, and most Swedes (etc) you talk to speak nearly faultless English.

4. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Look at the window of time that as humans we best acquire language, it starts to tail off by 11, so I would say yes 'younger is better'.

5. I believe there has been extensive research on this and that learning a foreign language at an early age improves achievement in other areas of learning. Have a look at google scholar.