1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is workload the reason why more teachers want flexible hours?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Grieving teacher's wife: "I am sorry to tell you that my husband had a heart attack yesterday evening and died in Intensive Care."

School: "I'm sorry to hear that. Did he leave any cover work, before he died?"

2. ParakeetGreen

ParakeetGreen New commenter

In effect you're describing closer to the problem itself.

The work-load is too large because the Job ROLE DEFINITION of teachers is nebulous in the first place.

Let's take an example:

1. Teach scheduled Class Time Table Your Subject across years
    2. EXTEND: Do cover classes as well
    3. EXTENSION 2: Do cover classes in not your subjects as well.

This is the most trivial example of management taking a teacher for a ride in the work load they are expected to do. Do note all the out of class work as well known on top of the lesson running for the time of lesson itself. Also note all the meetings, pastoral duties, parents stuff, admin stuff and so on...

So the problem is the Job ROLE DEFINITION itself. Start then then work FLEXIBLY around that.

For example,

1. Here's my intention: I do only my classes given - no other classes. that is my flexible working hours for starters.

As to taking time off school, there is a lot of benefit: The school day is very claustrophobic and I believe it burns out teachers due to the many demands emotionally, socially and then the continual treadmill of the school schedule itself. The ability to detach and recharge regularly is absolutely necessary. If you ever have done Events Management you'll know how shattered everyone is after the "show is over and finally packed up and lorried off to storage until the next on" which is similar to teaching in a way. In some ways I think the schedule is almost designed to be frenetic to keep the ship "moving forwards" at all costs! Then of course "shore leave" is the bribery to keep the staff from direct mutiny altogether from their numerous insufferable duties!

But jokes aside, the ROLE DEFINITION is ridiculous in the first place. The quality of teachers I work with, their standard of education, their integrity of character, and they are idk if it's too strong to say it, but abused by the management across the nation, in how much "extra" is padded onto their primary focus of "making the experience of learning successful to young people each day". If that focus were given special attention it might improve everyone's lives.

3. CMillerEnglish

CMillerEnglish New commenter

I was part-time for a few months and it was a happy time for me. I was working a 40 hour week instead of 60. I still gave up one day of my weekend for work but I was pretty strict with myself about keeping my two weekdays free to do other things.

Happygopolitely likes this.
  4. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

It's not too strong to say it-I see it as routine abuse of goodwill. Nothing will change except that more people will leave as soon as they can, and the boss-fellows will get richer.

5. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

As a TA, my father-in-law passed away recently and my school told me that, as father-in-law is not considered immediate family (since when?!), I could not have any time off to support my husband and help with the many arrangements. I would be allowed one day for the funeral which will happen in the school holidays anyway so I won't need it! Total lack of compassion and flexibility. From now on, no give and take from me!

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think schools reap what they sow - treat staff without flexibility & compassion, and expect staff to do the minimum. I would...

7. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Great posting. Completely agree.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Crommo89

Crommo89 New commenter

2 points:
    1) My Dad was a teacher. He took early retirement through ill health, which ultimately was what killed him. My Mum and I were convinced that he timed it to coincide with half term so I would have time to make the appropriate arrangements.
    2) "Reap and sow". I have been lucky enough to play sport at a fairly high club level - lucky enough to have been invited to play in representational sides or similar tours. I have been unlucky enough for 99.9% of them to have been in term time. Guess how many times I played? Once, and the reason was that I often helped out with stuff that wasn't in my curriculum area. This time, I was lucky enough for him to realise that all the extra time I put in far outweighed one Wednesday afternoon off so he let me. It helped he was a cricket fan.

9. 01ade

01ade New commenter

Sad

10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Saw this on the telly - perhaps 40 years ago:
    Tommy Cooper knocked on a door.
    Hello Missus, is Fred in?
    Sorry, but he passed away last week.
    Did he say anything about a tin of paint before he went?