1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is workload in 6th form college worth the pay cut?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by DaisyBill, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DaisyBill

DaisyBill New commenter

I left my job a few weeks ago as i was really unhappy and this week I've been offered two jobs, one in a mainstream school and one in a 6th form college.

The school job is 15 minute commute, offering me UPR2 (where i am at the moment) but the job is initially until Easter, possibly longer and could lead to perm.

The college job is permanent, 40 minute commute and is offering £4K below UPR2. I asked about progression and was told that is the very top of the pay bracket so no chance of increase.

I am not sure what to do, what is the workload like in a college compared to an 11-16 school .............. trying to decide of the pay cut is worth it!

Any advise, or thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've always wondered why 6th form colleges pay less when all the teaching is A level or equivalent?
    I suspect workload is high.
    Only you can decide.
    I'd love to teach exclusively A level, but not for peanuts.

3. DaisyBill

DaisyBill New commenter

i know, that's why i am asking ................. love the idea of the job but salary is so much less i want to know why?