1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Voting Meaningful ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Happygopolitely, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Do we really need to vote and isn't it up to mps anyway whatever happens?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Yes, sufferage is meaningful.

MPs make decision based on how people are likely to vote. So women have votes, so women's issues are treated with respect. Doctors have votes, so their complaints are taken seriously, etc. The population of Kent has votes, so Kent is not accepting toxic waste from China for the profit of a tiny few....etc

The fact that we are in a situation where we think our votes are unimportant is a win for democracy, because our likely votes are taken into consideration BEFORE we use them, not after.

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

The problem is there is no one decent to vote for. My vote is usually for who is the least worse of a bad bunch but it shouldn't be that way.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In local elections I always vote for the candidate who lives closest to me on the basis that anything that negatively affects me will possibly affect him/her as well.

Flanks and Happygopolitely like this.