1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Is two timing (for 2K) worth it?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by revivaldrum, Mar 22, 2011.

1. More importantly is it legal/moral?
    Taking up a new post beginning August when should I put my official leaving date in my resignation to my UK school?
    End of July?
    End of August?
    Don't want to take the micky but I believe it is normal practice to resign or retire at the end of August, but that is usually because one doesn't do any other work until September (if at all). What is acceptable? I could do with the extra month in pay.

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Perfectly legal/moral. You have done all the work for the contract year, so you have earnt the money. My head told me to put August 31st. If you work the summer term, you get the August salary.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Put the resignation date as the very last day of the summer leave. You have already accrued your holiday leave by the number of days you have worked.

4. Really? You mean (just checked) the 4th September? That is a bit cheeky isn't it?

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Check what day their new term starts on, then yes, put the last day of the holidays as your final day working for them.

6. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Not cheeky at all - you are employed for the full year (until end August) and you are entitled to be paid for that full year. Paid holiday forms part of that arrangement. Happened to me when I left the UK. Resigned for the end of the School Year and last pay received in the UK was for the month of August. Also received pay from the new school for August as their contract started 1st August.

7. Yes, you will be paid until the end of August (not 4th September as all of September will come into next year's salary). You've done the work, now take the cash!

8. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

As above perfectly legal moral! We have to give three months notice remember so resign 31 may for 31 aug.

Imagine if there want this unionised rule. We would end up the ta's who don't get paid in summer hols (mean trick that especially as adverts for tas show a misleading monthly salary)

It never occurred to me that anyone would ask this question but I am an ex investment banker so used to grabbing all da cash can!

9. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Don't forget that in two years time (or whenever your new contract ends) you will have no pay during August of that year.