1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Trump wrong to withdraw funds?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Apr 15, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

Is Trump making a huge error here or is right?

Factbox: Reaction to Trump withdrawing WHO funding - Reuters

Whilst I agree, the WHO could have done more imho. Every country is nevertheless accountable for the well being of its occupants and as such shouldn’t each country be measured by its appropriate reactions to a crisis ?

‘ U.S. President Donald Trump has instructed his administration to temporarily halt funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump said the WHO had "failed in its basic duty and it must be held accountable". He said it promoted China's "disinformation" about the virus that likely led to a wider outbreak.

The United States is the biggest overall donor to the Geneva-based WHO, contributing more than $400 million in 2019, roughly 15% of its budget’

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

It seems poor timing to me at best. Whether they are culpable in some way or not.

The USA is not going to take over a coordinating role internationally but here they are putting an impediment in the way of what the WHO does.

Test , Test and Test they said. We didn't and the Americans had to pay themselves for one (so lots didn't). Yes mistakes were made, lots of them by virtually everyone....

3. WB

WB Lead commenter

I read the first 3 words of the thread title and said yes.

Seemed like a reasonable assumption.

Burndenpark, Jamvic, Laphroig and 3 others like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

I agree @Yoda

Errors have been made all round. Advice ignored on many levels too. I wonder if it’s a money saving exercise at least until the economy sorts itself out.

Jamvic and Laphroig like this.
  5. WB

WB Lead commenter

To give a more complete answer...

I don't think the WHO have been great from what I've read but now isn't the time. Also, following on from yesteday's events it might look as though he's being childish (again).

6. install

install Star commenter

Thank you @WB

Do you think other countries should do the same then and don’t you think we need the WHO ?

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I doubt it. $100 million USD is small change in the context of the American economy. More likely that Trump is preparing to blame the WHO for the USA not acting sooner.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Yes. Right now? Did you imagine this was a good time? Whatever the rights (if any) or wrongs, now is not the time.

9. install

install Star commenter

Yes agree @WD

The timing is off. I am sure there are plenty of more potential pandemics out there too that we all want to be aware of.

Jamvic and WB like this.
  10. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter

I think that as Kant probably would have put it, Trump did the right thing for the wrong reason. The US response to Covid 19 has been chaotic, late and very damaging. Trump must take some personal responsibility for that. The WHO advice was initially not to close borders-and there is some evidence of Chinese influence on the WHO, but why has Trump waited until this later stage to withdraw US funding? Is it because he personally is under attack and is being blamed for the disaster of the late US response to Covid 19? If so, his action has no moral value.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Trumpy needs the money to pay the extra costs of having his name printed onto all the subsistence cheques going out to the folks made unemployed by the crisis.

12. install

install Star commenter

Thank you @florian gassmann

Surely that’s money for lots more PPE . I agree it seems like a scapegoating exercise, possibly to ensure Trump’s re-election.

Jamvic and mothorchid like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Yes it’s poor timing @mothorchid . I agree.

needabreak, Jamvic and mothorchid like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

Indeed. That money can be used for something @blazer

I hope other countries don’t follow suit.

15. install

install Star commenter

Good point. Kant might also have said this @baitranger :

‘Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness.’

Immanuel Kant

mothorchid and needabreak like this.
  16. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Has the WHO done a good job in dealing with this pandemic so far? That is a question that can be debated later.

But Trump is an idiot so the first (and safest) response to anything he says will be to treat it as wrong.

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Of course he's wrong.

He's slowly descending into a petulant, narcissistic madness

18. WB

WB Lead commenter

To move towards petulant narcissistic madness he'd have to ascend.

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Good point. Well made. I defer to you.

install and WB like this.
  20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I cannot see how this helps anyone at all.
    Apart from Trump...................he will imagine there's something in it for him.

chelsea2, install and emerald52 like this.