1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Tom Watson unfit to be an MP?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

If he's unfit, then a lot more are too.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

He's a bit on the portly side but that's no crime.

I'd comment on the article but the blasted Telegraph is skulking behind a paywall.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Damn it @Vince_Ulam got to the joke first!

FF, while I'm sure there is some truth to it all, bear in mind the Tory press are all gun-a-blazing on Labour at the moment. Everything they do is portrayed negatively.

5. Morninglover

Given our obesity problems, maybe being a fatty should be unacceptable amongst elected politicians? :D

BTW If you go to settings on your browser, then 'History' (or similar) and delete all your cookies (aka 'browsing History') you should be able to see behind the DT paywall....

6. maurice-r

Should Jimmy Savile have tried to become an MP, then?

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

He was elected, get over it.

8. Morninglover

Well I'm unlikely to be able to step over him, should I ever come across him f(l)at out on the ground, am I?

lexus300 likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

What's with the 'our'? Like a greyhound, me. Like a whippet.

Yes but then I'll have to mess around with passwords.

As for Tom Watson, let him ride. The cover-up may have been covered up.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There'd be a fair few MPs in the queue ahead of Watson in the 'not fit to be an MP' group. And I'd say making important decisions based purely on your own, personal prejudices and narrow experience would make someone go straight to the top of the queue, starting with the likes of Gove and Morgan.

11. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

Watson is not fit to be Paedofinder General. He is handy for keeping Jez in check.

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

There's a term, is there not, for an ambitious politician, not troubled by scruples or honesty, who seizes on a hot button topic, and exploits the public's fear to advance his own slimey career? Now, what is that called? Something-ism? I think it was named after this guy...
    [​IMG]

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Bloody joggers: cyclists on legs.

14. maurice-r

Wasn't Joe McCarthy a Republican, Art?

15. Vince_Ulam

Running. It's called running. You remember, that thing you used to do when the dinner bell rang?

(Aside from salivate.)

racroesus likes this.
  16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Wasn't Tom Watson instrumental in exposing the MP expenses scandal? (Along with the Telegraph of course)

17. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

No. His expenses were embarrassingly exposed by it.

18. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

Surely this is a question about Corbyn's judgement in fact? I agree that Watson shouldn't have pursued the CPS in light of the fact that there wasn't enough evidence to bring a case against the Tory peer but he was appointed by Corbyn at the end of the day. And he's not the only one.

Corbyn has appointed Andrew Fisher as his new political advisor despite the fact that Fisher is still under investigation by the Labour Party for urging voters not to back the Labour candidate for Croydon South but an anarchist candidate of Class War instead. Emily Benn, investment banker and grand daughter of Tony Benn was the official candidate but Fisher urged voters to back the anarchist Class War instead.

Fisher also crowed over Ed Balls' demise and described his wife, Yvette Cooper's stance on migrants as being “beyond a right wing BNP policy”.

He defended the comment by saying "BNP policy = no benefits to people who haven't paid in. Cooper = no benefits even if paid in for 3yrs+".

In September he described Milliband's front bench as “the most abject collection of complete sh*te", Jack Straw as “a vile git that has got his comeuppance, good riddance”, Prince Andrew as a "parasite" and Buckingham Palace as "bar*ta*ds". So far, Corbyn has refused to comment on his choice of political adviser or his comments. Could it be because he agrees with them? The buck stops with him.

19. Morninglover

More evidence that Watson is unfit to be an MP:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...anothher-sexual-abuse-claim-intervention.html

Tom Watson today faced new accusations he interfered with justice after an innocent man's life was 'destroyed' when the Labour MP demanded a case against him was re-opened.

Mr Watson asked Kier Starmer, then head of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and now a Labour MP, to revisit the case of a wife of a fellow politician three months after it was closed.

The accused was then arrested at gunpoint at Heathrow and spent a year on bail before being cleared by a jury in under an hour of sexually assaulting a child.