1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this type of case relevant justice? Or a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...over-John-Lennons-Happy-Xmas-War-is-Over.html

A man has been sentenced for knocking out his sister's two front teeth in a row over a Christmas record 40 years ago.

Patrick and Anita Ackroyd disagreed over John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War is Over) when they were teenagers in December 1975.

A court heard that he punched her in the face and knocked out her teeth in an assault that has left her wearing a dental plate ever since.

Leeds Crown Court heard that Ackroyd and his sister were told by their mother to lie about what had happened and Anita told a hospital she had had an accident.

But the truth emerged decades later as police investigated an unrelated and undisclosed matter.

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Wasteful when you consider what else is happening all around us.

3. Morninglover

That is my view - but given all the 'historic' crimes being actively pursued these days, I wonder whether this is a deliberate [policy to justify continued spending on police/law enforcement/the justice system at a time when the evidence is that crime as a whole is declining...

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Blimey - I pulled my older brother out of a Laburnum tree (he'd climbed it with a rope around his waist; I pulled it) in 1965, when I was 7 and he was 10. He broke his arm. I do hope he hasn't seen this news item.

sabrinakat, Didactylos4 and FolkFan like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is that really the whole summation of the case?

I mean, reading FF's post, yeah it is wasteful. Just a bit incredulous... has to be more to it surely?

Oh god hope my brother doesn't read this... never hear the end of it!

6. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Justice? Scales of justice?

7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Do we not have some kind of statute of limitation thing in this country?

josienig, sabrinakat and FolkFan like this.
  8. Morninglover

That's what I thought....Maybe it's been repealed?

9. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

The law has become much more frivolous these days, because it gives good clear up rates. My neighbour has complained about my security light recently ( which comes on if someone walks past in the dark), however, it is really about trying to extract money from people. He says my cats ( all two of them), set it off occasionally at night, so I am currently teaching them to square dance in the dark with the neighbour's cat and a hedgehog. People are litigious these days, but I say bring it on, as how Boris and Ghengis can be prosecuted for causing a light nuisance I have no idea.

This man has flimsy curtains and is a complete odd ball in my opinion, and no doubt has his telescope trained on me. Small mind, small...........

10. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I'm with your neighbour on this. Other people's security lights are a pain.

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

12. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Yes, however, I live in the most rural place you can think of, and there are no street lights, and lots of random gypsies wanting to know if I am in.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

I think it is the fact that random animals set it off - how am I responsible for random animals.... probably happens 3 or 4 times of a night.

14. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

You arrange to have intense lights going on outside your house 3 or 4 times a night?

You neighbour has my sympathy.

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It sounds a random sort of place you live in what with random gipsies and random animals setting off random lights.

16. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

But he was in his twenties, it would seem, when it happened.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm glad I wasn't born then.