1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this top appropriate for my teaching placement?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I apologise for asking such a ridiculous question but I am starting my teaching placement soon and have this top:
    http://www.janenorman.co.uk/fcp/product/buy-fashion-look-fabulous/Sale/stripe-panel-belted-v-neck-jumper/10848?colour=black
    (I have the blue one)

Would this be appropriate to wear please? The neck is fairly high but it is quite tight. I want to look smart and feel comfortable at the same time but most of my clothes seem too formal. I have so many blouses that I bought before I started university specifically for placements however I hardly ever see female teachers wearing blouses so that was probably a mistake. I'm trying to stock up on clothes prior to placement so I'm not wearing the same tops all the time, since I'm sure people would notice if I wear the same thing all the time.
    I know this seems like a pointless and irrelevant question perhaps but I want to look the part. Has anyone got any further suggestions please of where I can buy clothes from for placement please? I'm 21.

2. I've worn blouses before and felt like I was standing out like a sore thumb. I'm looking out for fairly cheap tops and bargains but I don't buy clothes from shops like primark, asda and tesco. I live nowhere near them and have never shopped there.

3. I think the top would be fine but best thing to do is to go smart the first day and then judge the schools dress code as they vary alot!

STOP PANICING!

4. Go in at your smartest and suss out what everyone else is wearing.

5. I personally would wear something more neutral and smart to begin with and see what others wear.

6. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

The top looks great to me-I like it. You say it's tight though-which made me wonder. I don't mean to seem rude, but a very tight top on a slender person with a small chest probably looks different than on a slender person with huge boobs or a very overweight person.

This isn't particular to that top or even working in a school, just that some tight tops are just a bit too tight!!

I'd probably wear a pair of smart trousers, a pair or smart boots and a tunic style top on my first day and then check out what the others are wearing. I don't really own any blouses and they tend to gape over my boobs anyway which isn't a nice look for anyone, so go for more tunics/fitted T-shirts or just dresses with boots.

7. Day 1 suited and booted - as other say suss out school dress code- if in doubt ask- some schools have written policies.
    I wear stuff like that top all the time, I also wear skinny dark black jeans with boots, uggs, leggings, t-shirt tops at times but I have been in my school a few years and am established their with staff and kids alike. (I am 25!)
    I did my PGCE when I was 20 and found it better for me to wear shirts and trousers/skirt then as I grew in confidence more of my real personality came out.;
    Stick with school policy
    Be comfortable
    By inexpensive-ish clothes that you wouldnt cry over should they get covered in marker, glue etc

Enjoy xx

8. Lovley top - only wish I were slim enough and young enough to wear it !

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What did you wear on previous placements? Does this fit your 'style'? You were in school today, so does it fit with what other staff might wear?

They key thing to remember is that you need to look like a professional. If you believe you look and feel that way in this top then go for it, dress it up with trousers maybe rather than down with leggings though.

10. No, definitely not, that outfit is completely inappropriate for your placement. It would look great for a night out but not for your placement. Smart plain trousers and a blouse / shirt would be comfortable as well as professional.
    Good Luck!

11. Personally, I like a skirt with black tights, knee high boots and a black jumper. I sometimes mix it up with a black cardigan and a black t-shirt underneath! Comfortable but smart.

12. I'm at the end of my three year degree, and have found different placements required different outfits because of the attitudes of staff and the dress code. At my current school, so long as I'm covered up and not showing too much leg I can wear whatever I feel comfortable with. (Not jeans obviously but can wear PE kit on days when I'm teaching that)
    I have never worn a blouse purely because I can't get them long enough in my size (I have an out of proportion torso but only size 8 so they are never long enough to get to my trousers!!!).
    I usually wear a long sleeved tshirt, or normal sleeved tshirt with trousers and flat shoes. I have a few jumper dresses that I wear with thick black tights and boots.
    I think so long as you aren't risking knocking someone out with your assets, then that would be fine. Wear with black trousers and it will still look smart, but showing your own personality and style, and will be more comfortable for you.
    If I had to wear a shirt then I would feel uncomfortable and therefore not be as free to teach if that makes sense.
    Like some posters have said, go in smartly on yoru first day and then suss out what is and isnt appropriate, or even ask your class teacher what they would suggest is acceptable.
    JSY x

13. I hate to plug my own thread but this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about:

HERE

14. All schools are different. Ive done placements with early years staff who wore jogging bottoms because of the movement/messyness, and in schools where they all wore smart trousers and shoes and blouses.
    Now I work in a school where everyone has a school fleece, and we all wear black/grey etc trousers and vest tops/cardigans. I refuse to wear expensive clothing to school when im going to get snot, glue, glitter and felt tip pen all over it!

15. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Personally I wouldn't wear anything too fancy. You want to appear to be practical, capable and down to earth, as well as smart, if you want to avoid the 'Did you see what she was wearing?' comments in the staffroom. First impressions count and being smart and friendly are more important than being trendy.
    I'm sure they will notice if you wear something new every time too! Most of my colleagues can't afford designer clothes and would balk at the idea of a student who wore expensive labels. Wait til a kid flicks black paint or pukes down your front... then you'll think Asda and Primark clothes will do just fine!!! You can easily bin them.
    Having said that, you don't want to look too plain and boring, so accessories are great for keeping your pupils' attention on you. You can be practical without losing your sense of style. Do your best to look professional, not tarty!
    Our two recent students were lovely, but dressed in very frilly girly clothes.The kids just didn't respect them., because they were too much like big sisters. One wore pink ballet flats with no socks. In January! Not great for shifting staging and tables, nevermind outdoor play! You can't go wrong with a white t-shirt with a beige or navy cardi. If I wore this top during stressful lesson observations, I'd be very worried about sweaty pits! Sorry.

16. This is just my personal opinion but I think this looks a but cheap and tacky...sorry, I really don't mean to offend but I wouldn't be impressed if my student turned up in that! And I am only 24! My student looks smart like the rest of us...she wears black trousers with a cardigan and shirt or a long sleeved t-shirt or a jumper. Similar to what I wear really...black/navy/brown/grey trousers or a skirt with a cardigan/jumper/long sleeved tshirt with scarf or tank top over/tunic. I think we all look smart. We all have a school fleece too!

17. I'm an NQT, and did my training last year. I wouldn't wear something like this. I might expect to see this worn on uni days or weekends, but not in the classroom. Sorry. When I was a student I went for the dress smart approach.

18. I agree. It is something that I would expect a 15/16 year old work experience student to turn up in, not a teacher trainee.

19. I completely agree with the previous comments. Don't worry, I decided that it would be a big mistake to wear it in school. I'm just sticking to my smart professional clothes and I've never not looked smart yet. I take teaching very seriously. Also, I decided not to invest in a whole new wardrobe. I have more than enough smart clothes and don't know what I was worrying about.

20. Dress interview smart for the first day and then see what others are wearing. I dress far less formally than I did as an NQT