1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this too many posters?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Doitforfree, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

My son is in year seven and every time they start a new subject (for example, although it's part way through the year they've only just started doing cookery, after half a year of DT) the very first thing they have to do is make a poster. Apart from feeling a bit 'primary school' it doesn't feel like a very rigorous pice of work and after having done loads of posters my son has poster fatigue! He'd really like to be given 'proper' work. Is it normal for secondary schools to rely so heavily on this iddea? I know it's not very important in the general scheme of things but it feels like a waste of time when something more educational and satisfying could be done instead.

2. Doitforfree

My son is in year seven and every time they start a new subject (for example, although it's part way through the year they've only just started doing cookery, after half a year of DT) the very first thing they have to do is make a poster. Apart from feeling a bit 'primary school' it doesn't feel like a very rigorous pice of work and after having done loads of posters my son has poster fatigue! He'd really like to be given 'proper' work. Is it normal for secondary schools to rely so heavily on this iddea? I know it's not very important in the general scheme of things but it feels like a waste of time when something more educational and satisfying could be done instead.

3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Speaking for myself, I always feel that making a poster is a bit of a cop-out only to be done occasionally. Also, I would have thought it better to do a poster towards the end of the subject when they know more about it.

4. Kate001

Kate001 New commenter

It would depend on how much time they were dedicating to it. If it was a ten minute thing at the start of the lesson then I don't see that that is a problem. Also it is a good way to assess prior learning so that lesson time isn't used covering 'old ground'. I understand your concerns though.
    Kate
    Secondary Science teacher

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Posters are actually used in academia (try googling "research poster"), so they needn't be babyish!
    If it really is every topic and nearly every subject, it might be worth mentioning that to someone - each department has no doubt planned separately, and not realised that the overall diet is not as balanced as it might be.

6. Doitforfree

I think my objection is that it's either the whole lesson or a piece o homework, neither of which seem like a good use of the teacher's or the pupil's time.

7. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

ok, call me cynical if you like but....
    from a teacher's point of view....
    <u>Pros for posters</u>
    Easy to set
    Easy to mark (if marked at all)
    Easy to set as homework
    Handy to keep a class busy with minimal input
    Easy to show diffrentiation
    All students "get what to do" very quickly
    Looks to managment like the students are enjoying their learning and not just writing (I think this one is important)
    <u>cons for posters</u>
    Bit of a cop out
    can be a noisy / messy lesson if ill managed.
    The pros outweigh the cons - simples
    For what its worth, Even in a subject which often lends itself to posters (DT) I usually reserve them to set for when i'm absent as the person on supply won't have too much to do. Having said that, some of the posters my wife's college students produce for animal care are superb and really worthwhile. Much depends on the subject and teacher.