1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this too harsh?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by jmntsp, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

You are not being unfair. I never leave a class alone mid lesson to wander off to the toilet for five minutes or so and I am middle aged and have given birth to 5 kids. If my elderly bladder can make it through a 50 min lesson so can everyone else's. Medical exemptions are different. And I generally say to any teenage girl who is looking absolutely desperate 'is it an emergency?' in case they have suddenly started a period. I would not expect them to ask again for another 3 or 4 weeks, however. If the school has strict rules on uniform then I would certainly uphold them. Much easier to be firm about rules from the beginning. You're doing fine.

2. I think you're being perfectly fair! We have a 10 minute reading session after lunch every day (regardless of which subject you teach) I keep a note of the ones that don't turn up with a book. Three times in a row, they get a detention. The students tell me that none of their other teachers bother... Likewise with the toilet. I asked a student today, if they had a medical certificate, as it was the third lesson in a row, they required a toilet break. Keep up the good work!

3. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Your housemates are wrong and you are right. Maintaining high standards is always the best policy.

4. MisterW

MisterW New commenter

Keep doing exactly what you're doing. Can I ask what stage of your career you and your housemates are in? Are you NQTs? If so I'd be fascinated if you posted an update in around February/March time saying how you were faring compared to them. If you don't enforce the rules properly and consistently it is a long slog til July I promise you.
    You will be having the last laugh on this one.

5. I'm an NQT- none of my housemates teach. One has a son; the other has a stepdaughter- neither child lives in the house.
    My other housemate, who wasn't included in the conversation originally, is on my side- she was a student at the school I now work at!
    Being harsh isn't in my nature but I'm aware strict rules and gidance are essential.

6. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

OK, try not being at all 'harsh' for a month and see how your housemates like seeing you tearing your hair out/crying because the kids are treating you like a total mug, SLT have put you on extra observations because your lessons are going down the toilet and you're paying the price for being a total walkover.
    Your housemates are wrong. It's not like you're planning to let children wet themselves if they're desperate, but you have rules in place and that's fine. I wonder if your housemates would be OK with their children being in lessons where there are seven interruptions for (unnecessary) loo breaks. I wonder if they'd be OK having their children in lessons where the teacher said 'I know it's school rules but actually you don't have to bother doing XYZ'. Of course they wouldn't!

7. MisterW

MisterW New commenter

If your housemates are not teachers they are not qualified to comment. Do you tell them how to do their jobs?
    And remember you are not being "harsh". It would be more harsh to not do your job properly, allow standards to slip and thereby allow the quality of education to suffer. The kids deserve better than that.

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Maybe it's because they are not teachers and not qualified to comment that makes them experts on something they know nothing about. Have you thought of moving out?

9. It's really not that much of an issue- it was a passing comment that made me wonder, because it isn't a stance that comes naturally (I suppose this is true of everybody, hence their comments- wouldn't we all love not to have to lay down the law!); certainly not worth moving out over!

10. My husband thinks it's unfair that I don't let a child in my class play Minecraft on the computer all day "he's obviously not interested in what your teaching him -Minecraft's better!" But then again he does favour the use of tazers against violent pupils.
    People who don't teach (and don't have children) don't see things in the same way. So long as you're up front and consistent about the consequences and they don't go against behaviour policy then it's fine.

11. May I make a suggestion?
    If the intention was to read then does it matter what it is they read?
    Why not Be Prepared, have to hand copies of articles, contemporary material of interest to young people, articles that could form the basis of a debate. Value their contributions.
    If reading books don't appear then say "Not to fear we are going to read this and discuss as a class". I believe reading should be for a purpose as with writing. It should move you, inspire you or provoke conversation.
    Add interest to lessons and maybe they won't seek refuge in the toilets(not being harsh to you but sometimes we must reflect on our delivery )

12. It is part of the school policy that all KS3 MUST have a reading book. At ALL times, not just on days they have English. They have a well stocked library, most of the English staff have a selection of books we are willing to lend. But as it forms a part of their lesson, they MUST have one beforehand- in a different school, I've seen the "you can borrow one at the start of the lesson" policy- which means many will opt NOT to bring a book, there will be a scramble at the start of the lesson (which wastes the reading time) and many will wind up reading the first few pages of many books, without actually ever completing a book.
    The point is to develop independent reading skills, as well as them to read something without fear of it being picked to pieces. They each give a short review every term of a book they have read- but there is no indepth analysis of sections. A lot of students have said they are put off English by the "analyse this" approach- this is a small way to show them other approaches.
    Yes- but sometimes the purpose can just be for enjoyment. Interestingly, since I laid down the law, very few students have forgotten a book and I've even had a few grumbles when I ask them to pack their books away!
    As for the toilet thing, of course I try to make my lessons engaging and interesting. Sadly, some students will always opt for a sneaky chat in the loo over doing work of any description. Again, putting my foot down with this seems to be helping. I have adopted a policy of "make them ask twice" by telling them they need to complete X work or wait until we are done with Y explanation- never more than 10 minutes; a few simply don't ask again! (Apparently, there is a school wide issue of kids arranging to meet at certain times in lessons; making them wait removes the need to go!)

13. You've explained that bringing a book to lesson is important for learning and you've given them a consequence if they don't follow your rules.
    As a teacher, you can't go to the toilet in the middle of the lesson, so why should they?
    Your rules seem completely fair to me.
    Remember - you're the teacher, not your housemates.