1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the perfect school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by polly.glot, Jun 2, 2011.

1. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I LOVE my new school. It's years 11,12 and 13 only, with all the kids doing Cambridge International A Levels. The kids are totally delightful.They are polite, funny, hard-working and clever. They regularly top the world in the CIE. The DP spends 6 minutes a week on discipline. There is no uniform, so no chasing up trivia. My subject (Classics) is intellectually challenging, and the kids love it. The Principal makes a point of thanking people individually and in public, is kind and thoughtful, and does her best to ensure that everyone in the school is happy. I work part-time, and what a difference after the long,demanding hours in a UK boarding school.
    Just wanted to say.....

2. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I LOVE my new school. It's years 11,12 and 13 only, with all the kids doing Cambridge International A Levels. The kids are totally delightful.They are polite, funny, hard-working and clever. They regularly top the world in the CIE. The DP spends 6 minutes a week on discipline. There is no uniform, so no chasing up trivia. My subject (Classics) is intellectually challenging, and the kids love it. The Principal makes a point of thanking people individually and in public, is kind and thoughtful, and does her best to ensure that everyone in the school is happy. I work part-time, and what a difference after the long,demanding hours in a UK boarding school.
    Just wanted to say.....

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It sounds perfect for you [​IMG]

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Sounds dull as dishwater but... as long as you like it, that's all that matters.

5. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Dull? Oh nononononono.
    In 38 years, I've taught in every type of school, Seen it all.
    Dull? No.

6. I ca see the appeal but it would not be for me

Pleased for you though

7. Sounds very similar to the school my cousin did his A Levels at! I wonder if it's the same one! I'm glad you are so happy there.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Cannot believe that some posters would not like it!
    Sounds great.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It sounds like my idea of heaven. Whereabouts is it located?
    Lovely to hear someone enjoying their job so much.

10. I like teaching my subject to younger students [​IMG]

11. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

I do think some on here have been hell highed to such an extent that the school the OP describes ends up having almost dystopian qualities about it.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sounds like a scene from 'The Matrix' - there has to be a catch somewhere..

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Some of us also prefer the challenge of children from a difficult background and giving them the best opportunities. While I can see why the school the OP mentions would be some people's ideal, I would be bored silly. The majority of children in that school will do well in life even if the teaching at the school is mediocre (and yes I know that is a generalisation but probably true!. In deprived areas (either financially, culturally or both) this is not the case and as teachers we have the chance to change the 'inevitable' path so many of them will walk along and open their horizons so they can better themselves. But then I work in primary so maybe it is different.
    Different strokes for different folks :)

14. impis

impis New commenter

Mine is a perfect school too. [well IMO]
    A bit different to yours:
    Mine is Reception to Y13.
    So are ours - in the main.
    Ours are mostly working about 4 years behind their mainstream peers.
    This is the vital ingredient to a 'perfect' school. Apreciation is VERY important to the ethos of a school. We have a new HT. The previous one was with us just 4 years. We have been very fortunate to have 3 good HTs in the last 6 years.

15. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Did all that for 12 years, RJR., in low-decile schools/bog standard comps. Loved it (mostly, and fingers crossed) at the time. I'm nearly 61 now, and it's time to explore other paths.

16. The path of?