1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the norm in secondary schools or do I say something?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bedingfield, Jan 30, 2011.

1. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

My daughter has recently decided to become more involved with the church where she is already a chorister. She has decided that she wants to be baptised and I am happy for her to make that choice even though I am not deeply religious myself.
    At her secondary school there is a PE teacher who uses the phrase Jesus Christ regularly in lessons. My daughter thinks this is offensive and regularly comes home to tell me about it. It normally happens when there is poor behaviour in the lesson and is accompanied by shouting and the teacher telling the pupil that they are stupid.
    I don't know whether to say something at the next parent/tutor meet in a couple of weeks time. My son attended the same school and says that it is the norm for some of the teachers to behave like this or to use sarcasm. Personally I would ignore it if I were in the situation, but it really bothers my daughter.
    As a primary school teacher, I know that I could be in trouble if I used sarcasm or said things like Jesus Christ but is this sort of thing normally accepted at secondary level? I don't want to blow things out of proportion, but I also want to support my daughter and let her know that I will try to help her.
    I would like to hear what others think, even though some of you might think this is trivial.

2. bedingfield

My daughter has recently decided to become more involved with the church where she is already a chorister. She has decided that she wants to be baptised and I am happy for her to make that choice even though I am not deeply religious myself.
    At her secondary school there is a PE teacher who uses the phrase Jesus Christ regularly in lessons. My daughter thinks this is offensive and regularly comes home to tell me about it. It normally happens when there is poor behaviour in the lesson and is accompanied by shouting and the teacher telling the pupil that they are stupid.
    I don't know whether to say something at the next parent/tutor meet in a couple of weeks time. My son attended the same school and says that it is the norm for some of the teachers to behave like this or to use sarcasm. Personally I would ignore it if I were in the situation, but it really bothers my daughter.
    As a primary school teacher, I know that I could be in trouble if I used sarcasm or said things like Jesus Christ but is this sort of thing normally accepted at secondary level? I don't want to blow things out of proportion, but I also want to support my daughter and let her know that I will try to help her.
    I would like to hear what others think, even though some of you might think this is trivial.

3. I have heard many teachers at my school use sacrasm towards students in lessons.
    I'm not saying OK, but I have heard said to students a number of times.

4. It is not going to be the last time she hears it in her life.
    She needs to learn to live with it.
    What she believes and feels is important, not what others say. Tell her that from a Believer.
    I even say it myself, sometimes [​IMG]
    We can't go namby pambying around and not saying things that may upset others. Sometimes we say it. Doesn't mean we are gripped by Lucifer.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The most religious person I know uses the phrase Jesus Christ! regularly. I don't know if he does it at school though.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Not trivial at all, in my opinion. It certainly would not be accepted in any of the secondary schools that I've known.
    The PE teacher may not realize that he's swearing badly and causing offence - but someone should tell him!

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not sure what this thread is about? Are you inviting comments on your daughter's wish to become a Church's member or is it about making a complain about a teacher whose behaviour you've heard second hand report about?

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Really?

9. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I don't like the children saying things like this, but often tackle it with sarcasm. i.e Student says Oh God! or Jesus Christ and I respond with close, but the names Mr C!

10. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

I am not remotely religious - but would never use that term myself. I also remind any students I hear using it that some people might find it offensive and that in my classroom it is as inappropriate as swearing.
    As for the sarcasm - I wouldn't say never. Some of the older students understand it well enough and it can be used as a way of building rapport. However - not as a serious put down.
    I agree.... but how does a parent do this?

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Surely your daughter sensitivity to the teacher's language has got something to do with her newly found religious fervour? Reminds me of Sophie in Coronation Street and how over zealous she was when she first got religious! Are you seriously considering getting the teacher in trouble for this? Just get her to toughen up a bit.

12. The language described in the OP is very unacceptable, in any setting, so she should have a word.
    I don't allow any blasphemy in lessons or at home.

13. bedingfield

No this is nothing to do with her becoming a member of the church but, since she has shown this interest, she has become more sensitive to the way other people talk about religion. I am not out to make a big fuss and huge complaint, but wonder whether I should explain to my daughter's tutor about the way my daughter perceives it and whether the PE teacher should be made aware.
    At my first school I worked at I was told at interview that sarcasm would not be tolerated (not that I use it anyway) and at this school I have a head with strict Christian values who does not tolerate any inappropriate language.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If you really think it matters that much,tell the teacher directly next time you see them at parents'evening. If you do not want to make a big fuss,do not involve other people/layers of management.

15. I don't think 'Jesus Christ' is acceptable, I don't know why as I do use "Oh my God" as an expletive, or more usually just "God!" I did shout "jesus f*cking God!" once actually, but that was when a whiteboard detached itself from the wall inches from my head, apologies to any Christians reading this, and at that point the kids were the least of my concern (that was in a very rough school and they just thought it was very funny, I probably would not get away with it in my current school.)
    I do think and I don't mean this as a criticism that primary schools are generally a tad more precious about such things - there are loads of threads on another forum I use complaining about the primary teachers not being positive in their discipline or use of words (even complaining about the use of the word No sometimes.)
    I do think sarcasm can be quite nasty for very young children though, and my dad used to do this a lot to the point where I would be scared to speak to him (you would say something like "it's time for Neighbours" and be subjected to minutes of "NO! Surely NOT! WOW, she can tell the time!" Annoying and not funny.) I think it depends on how it is said really.

16. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I think that this is an absolutely unacceptable phrase to be used by teachers or students. I would never tolerate this in my classroom. It's swearing, plain and simple.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Really?

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'm not a Christian and I do swear like a navvy outside of work, but I don't think the kind of language mentioned in the OP is appropriate in a school, or any other work setting for that matter.
    It's simply unprofessional.

19. ach, daft bat. [​IMG]

20. Swearing? really?! [​IMG]