1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this the last clue?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bradley10, Mar 15, 2011.

1. <font face="Times New Roman">Got LO weighed today - help</font> He has dropped 2 percentile lines but is feeding all of the time - at least every hour. Is this the last clue of needing to wean him?
    <font size="3">Sorry ladies have turned into an emotional wreck. I can't believe I am upset at possibly needing to wean him how bloody ridiculous!</font><font face="Times New Roman">Health visitor has just rang and she wants me to take him to get him weighed at the children's centre next Tues - i.e. look at his book before making a decision. &ndash; that&rsquo;s a lot of breast feeds for a week - ah well - She is hoping its a growth spurt because although he is 19 weeks he should be 15 weeks. a bit early to wean. Thought about giving him a formula top up (is my milk not good enough?) but he won't take a bottle.</font>
    x

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I've got a couple of friends who exclusively breastfed and had to wean early as their babies had dropped down the centile lines.
    Maybe wait a few days and see if it is a growth spurt and his weight goes up a bit. Also remember that apparently those charts are designed for formula fed babies. Go with your own instincts.
    I'm sure when I was a baby the advice was to wean earlier, like 3 or 4 months anyway. I was a premature baby, born at 36 weeks. I just asked my mum when she started to wean me and she can't remember!

3. I had this with my 2nd when she was 16 weeks - my HV told me to eat another meal (200 cals at least) like a bowl of cereal or a couple of slices of toast/jam just in case my milk was getting a bit thin and I had to go for weekly weighs for 2-3 weeks. It did help.

4. Do what YOU feel is right. Is your son otherwise happy and healthy? My DD used to feed loads too at that age. 4 months is a big growth spurt time.
    Oats are good for milk supply. I ate oatibix for breakfast and flapjacks, it worked really well. [​IMG]

5. Thanks ladies - I am eating like a trojan - I am only tiny and am eating more than my 6 foot 1 - big build OH.
    he is fine in himself - he would be he is feeding for around 20 mins every hour - has discovered his voice - is doing everything developmentally that he should be doing for 4 month old- has always been long and thin. Am going next Tues to have him weighed again and talk to a HV so we will see.